All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Hobbies & Crafts  Hop To Forums  Woodworking    How do I strip punched tin?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

How do I strip punched tin? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I recently got my hands on an antique pie safe that has been in my family. Apparently when my aunt was younger she painted the whole thing. I'm able to get the paint off of the wood with sanding/stripping, but the sides have punched tin that cannot be removed, they are installed between wooden boards. It simply cannot be taken apart as it is very old. The punched tin is painted orange. How can I strip it to it's original self? Please help!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        I don't have any answers but just wanted to tell you how lucky you are to have an antique pie safe. They're real gems!

Posts: 1924 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Careful use with a heat gun. Since the tin is metal, it will heat up faster than the wood around it. You should be able to heat the tin up enough so that careful use of something like the corner of a nylon scrubbie can take the paint off.

A mix of boiling hot water and baking soda applied with a Q-tip should get into the smaller cracks. Or, use anything hard and plastic to scrape off the loosened paint from the heat gun.

Finally, you could carefully apply some paint remover, but I would be concerned about staining the nearby wood. Maybe test this process on the bottom of the box first.

Jaybee

Posts: 10411 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        an acid brush, some M.E.K. , a little patience, and a respirator will remove the paint

Posts: 2570 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        The tin is punched from the inside out, so all the dimples are exposed on the outside and painted over, how do I scrape that?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        MEK will dissolve the paint and the residue can be brushed away with the acid brush

Posts: 2570 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post