DIY Message Boards
How do I strip punched tin?

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5721916776/m/2083954887

Dec 26, 2013, 04:40 PM
ben1223
How do I strip punched tin?
I recently got my hands on an antique pie safe that has been in my family. Apparently when my aunt was younger she painted the whole thing. I'm able to get the paint off of the wood with sanding/stripping, but the sides have punched tin that cannot be removed, they are installed between wooden boards. It simply cannot be taken apart as it is very old. The punched tin is painted orange. How can I strip it to it's original self? Please help!
Dec 26, 2013, 04:59 PM
GardenSprite
I don't have any answers but just wanted to tell you how lucky you are to have an antique pie safe. They're real gems!
Dec 26, 2013, 06:26 PM
Jaybee
Careful use with a heat gun. Since the tin is metal, it will heat up faster than the wood around it. You should be able to heat the tin up enough so that careful use of something like the corner of a nylon scrubbie can take the paint off.

A mix of boiling hot water and baking soda applied with a Q-tip should get into the smaller cracks. Or, use anything hard and plastic to scrape off the loosened paint from the heat gun.

Finally, you could carefully apply some paint remover, but I would be concerned about staining the nearby wood. Maybe test this process on the bottom of the box first.

Jaybee
Dec 26, 2013, 08:00 PM
nona
an acid brush, some M.E.K. , a little patience, and a respirator will remove the paint
Dec 28, 2013, 09:08 AM
ben1223
The tin is punched from the inside out, so all the dimples are exposed on the outside and painted over, how do I scrape that?
Dec 28, 2013, 02:28 PM
nona
MEK will dissolve the paint and the residue can be brushed away with the acid brush