All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Hobbies & Crafts  Hop To Forums  Woodworking    Benchtop Planers
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Benchtop Planers Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I'll need to replace my old Craftsman planer pretty soon and am looking for some input. The reviews I've read are pretty good for the DeWalt DW735 and 735X and the Steel City 40200H with a helical cutter head. I'm kind of leaning to the Steel City. Anybody out there have experience with these or other models and what are your suggestions? Thanks

Posts: 841 | Location: Rogers City, MI | Registered: Sep 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I've read quite a few negative reviews on the helical cutters. It seems that they have a problem with certain woods, in that they leave ridges. Unfortunately, I cant remember what woods they were. So I just decided to stay with my old 10 inch Ryobi planer
        I will say that I am partial to Grizzly and Jet power tools. they are always made well

Posts: 2589 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        dear hubby has the Dewalt 735x for a few years and he is very pleased with it .

Posts: 763 | Registered: Oct 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Old unit crapped out sooner than I expected right in the middle of a fairly big project, so had to do something quick. Picked up a DeWalt DW734 from Lowes. Very pleased so far. Easy to set up, fast and quiet and produces a very smooth finish. Exhaust hood is really efficient and the chips don't clog up my dust collector bag like the old one did. Infeed and outfeed tables and cutter head lock do a good job of reducing snipe. I would call this a good value for a hobbyist like me.

Posts: 841 | Location: Rogers City, MI | Registered: Sep 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post