DIY Message Boards
Benchtop Planers

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5721916776/m/1613978477

Oct 29, 2013, 07:37 AM
joecercone
Benchtop Planers
I'll need to replace my old Craftsman planer pretty soon and am looking for some input. The reviews I've read are pretty good for the DeWalt DW735 and 735X and the Steel City 40200H with a helical cutter head. I'm kind of leaning to the Steel City. Anybody out there have experience with these or other models and what are your suggestions? Thanks
Oct 29, 2013, 12:02 PM
nona
I've read quite a few negative reviews on the helical cutters. It seems that they have a problem with certain woods, in that they leave ridges. Unfortunately, I cant remember what woods they were. So I just decided to stay with my old 10 inch Ryobi planer
I will say that I am partial to Grizzly and Jet power tools. they are always made well
Oct 29, 2013, 09:26 PM
beers1
dear hubby has the Dewalt 735x for a few years and he is very pleased with it .
Nov 04, 2013, 11:41 AM
joecercone
Old unit crapped out sooner than I expected right in the middle of a fairly big project, so had to do something quick. Picked up a DeWalt DW734 from Lowes. Very pleased so far. Easy to set up, fast and quiet and produces a very smooth finish. Exhaust hood is really efficient and the chips don't clog up my dust collector bag like the old one did. Infeed and outfeed tables and cutter head lock do a good job of reducing snipe. I would call this a good value for a hobbyist like me.