All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Hobbies & Crafts  Hop To Forums  Woodworking    Uses for volunteer trees from the garden
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Uses for volunteer trees from the garden Sign In/Join 
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted
        In the spirit of generating discussions and celebrating the demise of most of the spammers, I'd like to get some advice on something I've considered for quite awhile.

Between my garden and the volunteer seeds from several adjoining lots, I end up with a lot of unwanted seedlings and trees. Most are Chinese Elm, box elder, mulberry, and now some black locust.

I bark stripped a mulberry over the weekend to kill it as it's interfering with my driveway, and wondered again if the wood can be used for any projects. It's a nice clear wood, it generally grows straight for several feet, and I hate to throw away good wood.

One of the plans I've mulled over for years has been using this unwanted lumber to create a bad neighbor fence to block out the neighbor who was raided by the feds a few years back. I thought I'd use the larger diameter trunks as the vertical bases and the smaller ones as the horizontal supports. I'm not sure how I'd fasten them. In a Robinson Crusoe mode of thinking, I'm trying to find something I could use to strap them together. But this may not be realistic.

I assume I'd still have to cure the wood so the base wouldn't rot once it's in the soil. What could I use to further protect the base that wouldn't leach out into the soil (I garden completely organically)?

Other than that, would there be other issues to consider? And would any of the mentioned wood be suitable? I really DO like that mulberry.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1902 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post