All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  TV Shows  Hop To Forums  Favorite Shows    Nicole Curtis
        Page 1 2 
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Nicole Curtis Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I love your show and try not to miss any of your shows. I became concerned about you when I hadn't seen any shows for a while and then in the next couple shows you looked like you were not well, similar to your picture with the house being torn down. Then your shows disappeared again and all I could think about was that you were seriously ill. So my question is are you okay? I'm praying for you and your show, I'm so in agreement with saving history!!

Posts: 1 | Location: 48118 | Registered: Aug 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        show hosts almost never show up on these boards. if you follow Nicole on Facebook, she's well, busy as a bee with 3 or 4 houses wrapping up in the Twin Cities and Detroit, and season 4 should be on the air soon.

what appears to be the pattern with repeats on both DIY and HGTV networks is they strip the old shows (TV talk for running a bunch of them back to back, instead of once a week) between seasons. so if the rerun parade has ended, it should about be time for new season shows. it appears to me that post-production to get the bin full of tapes whipped into TV programs takes 3-4 months for this show. and those of us who took the "before" tour of the first Minneapolis house did so on a drizzly day in Spring.

networks like to have a bank of several weeks of programming, minimum, before they slot the new stuff into the schedule. if nothing else, then they have enough stuff on hand to slice and splice up some promos.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5471 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Iam waiting for the broadcast of season 4....

Posts: 1 | Location: US | Registered: Aug 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Swschrad, Nicole's in Detroit? I hope she brought some Marines with her. She's venturing into wild territory, especially since the Ch. 9 was filed. There are a lot of angry people in Detroit now.

Seriously, I get a glimpse of her programs when I'm channel surfing but they're usually reruns on houses in your area. I'd be curious to see what she could do with one of the 60K to 80K abandoned buildings, some of which are so dilapidated they're literally crumbling.

And some of these crumblers were once magnificent Victorian Queen Annes. Such a shame.

Posts: 1725 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        she did at least one house, and possibly a couple, in Detroit... her home town. now she's homesick for both cities Wink

Posts: 5471 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        I wasn't aware she was from Detroit.

I do understand the nostalgia for what was once a dynamic city. I worked in Detroit for about 15 years, during which it was definitely preferable to working in the suburbs. There was so much to do - lunch in Greektown or Bricktown, shopping in the RenCen, good clothing stores which have long since become memories, and one of my favorites: Grinnells, with the best collection of sheet music and full scores I've ever found.

The commuter train was a safe and pleasant transit mode, the buses were a close second, and there was a lot of activity in the downtown area.

I remember one morning in December when I arrived quite early and stepped off the bus to be greeted by the soft lights of the annual Christmas tree. There was soooo much activity - it really was an exciting place to work...until it began to decay. And here we are today.

posted Hide Post
        sounds like she wrapped Detroit today and back to the twin cities.

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Swschrad, do you mean she finished taping her show in Detroit, and that it will be slated for sometime in the 2013 or maybe 2014 lineup?

Do you know where in Detroit she was rehabbing a house?

Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        Spam bumper again....

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1389 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        my impressions from GetFacedBook is that she is still back and forth for the holidays, but the Detroit taping is over for this season. the shows should be out of post-production and in the can for broadcast by now. seems PP takes a couple of months because there is a little bit here and a little bit there done on some rooms as workers overlap, and it's generally edited into one headache at a time Wink

and hey, it's not like this is the only thing they have on the shelf at the production company. so they have to slot time for this show and that show to get things to the network on time.

posted Hide Post
        I love what u do..i know u prob dont pay attention to the hateful people on here,,i hope u dont,,i would sooo love t b able to do what you do,,,i live n a small town in ok,,,i live n a 100 yr old house and would love to learn how to go about buying and remodeling old houses in my area...my wish as i drive around my town,, is that i could buy the properties that hav been ignored and it kills me when theres one sitting and rotting to the ground,,especially when there are people who dont hav homes to live in,,,it would so b appreciated to get some kind of feedbk from nicole

Posts: 1 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: Jan 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        you and 10,000 others, but never say never, it could happen.

the basic business as I gather it from watching and listening to Nicole podcasts periodically (the Tom Barnard Podcast on the iTunes store, free) is that the houses range from a buck to a couple thousand to buy, less closing costs and stuff, and they take anywhere from $80,000 to in the case of Hiawatha $140,000 to rehab. permits, contractors, materials, decor, all that stuff. add another 50 to 100% if you don't or can't do substantially all the non-code stuff yourself. which Nicole does. at the end, you don't have marble, open floorplan, or stainless steel appliances, so Realtors don't see the value and don't have near the market for these homes. it's a niche business.

this is why there are so many deferred-maintenance old homes rotting into the ground. and the neighborhood around them does, also. "one bad house" and everybody gets slack and the neighborhood goes plumb to (heck). you drop the one GOOD house in there, and within a couple years, everybody else starts improving their properties. I've seen it in the two neighborhoods the wife and I went to look at a Nicole house in.

Picture of sjh61
        posted Hide Post
        I owed this home several years ago. Lived there for 11 years. Registered it with historical society. The person we sold it to was planning on finishing the rehab......she let it go. I live now it CA and took a vacation back there and was heartbroken of what I seen. Cannot find out who currently owns it, but I know the city can't tear it down. I would love Nichole Curtis to see this home! It was built in 1910. Address is 611 Willow St. Ashdown, Ar 71822.

1910 Home

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Just rolled back in after a neighborhood service call {IE freeby, Big Grin} and tuned into Rehab Addic.
        My pet peeve hit the airwaves again. NC rebuilt a counter top with old beadboard. Surly every lead safety issue was tossed out with the bath water. Nobody should ever do that. Forget about the EPA, DNR, every building code on the planet.

I enjoy this show over 99% of the others airing. Those liability disclaimers run in the credits at the end of the show never stopped a lawyer from going to court. Only so many **** companies out their you can sue.
        swschrad, next time you run into the crew please pass along my concerns to NC. Wink

FYI: I spent the AM changing out an oil burner filter & pump screen after friends ran the oil tank dry overnight. And bleeding the air out of the supply line as well
        0° days in the northeast will do that. More than one home is changing over to natural gas, thanks to the vast amounts being produced in the commonwealth.
        My next move as well, but they {local gas utility} is booked to spring tying in new lines.
        Natural gas prices have dropped 35% in the last five years around here. And electric rates as well, because of the abundant supply. Big Grin
        How often do you hear about that?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,

Posts: 1389 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by CommonwealthSparky:

FYI: I spent the AM changing out an oil burner filter & pump screen after friends ran the oil tank dry overnight. And bleeding the air out of the supply line as well

That doesn't sound very "electrical". You must be the go-to guy in your neighborhood.

Jaybee

Posts: 10084 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        propane is fully 4 times the October price, due to sending a bunch of it down Texas way to load onto ships and sending overseas. a $500 tank fill is now over $2000. Natural gas is rising as well due to heavy power plant use. flaring off half of it in the Bakken because of lack of pipelines.

oil looks rather good in comparison, once you tank it, you are good for the season.

must be an older burner you serviced... Beckett units have a nasty habit of blowing the pump if you run the oil out. when we bought our house, the pump cover was cracked and leaking, new pump is $800 installed (!) so it behooves the oil users to stick their tanks monthly. if your system is rated for a gallon an hour or more, every few weeks, that's a slurping hog.

posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Jaybee:
        quote:
        Originally posted by CommonwealthSparky:

That doesn't sound very "electrical". You must be the go-to guy in your neighborhood.

Seems that way. Oil burner techs are on call all 24 but you may wait a better part of the day till he can get to you. Not the end of the world, but if kids or elderly are involved that changes everything. Those burner techs guys run non stop for the two cold months, Jan. & Feb.
        Best part about me being the go-to-guy is than midnight Beer Man places a 30 pack of my favorite peeva {Polish for beer} on the stoop every now and then.
        I could make a living bleeding oil fuel lines, maybe, Everybody holds out till the last minute to reorder, hoping for warmer weather.
        Correct you are swschrad, Becketts are installed in say 90% of oil units in these parts. I have been told that the actual pumping of the oil cools that same pump. {Makes sense but mechanical theory gives me a headache}. Run out of oil, you seize the pump. But having spare Beckett friendly parts on hand is priceless, and a time saver.
        The abode we have now had a burner that jetted @1.25 gph. Number 2 fuel oil was 85¢ a gallon at the time. We upgraded and the present unit's jet is rated at .85 gph. What a difference.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,

posted Hide Post
        .85 is a more common nozzle. I am told things work best if the furnace is a little undersized, just about eliminates hi-temp shutoffs and damage to the liner and heat exchanger.

Saturday morning, there was a huge gas pipeline blowout south of Winnipeg, which killed one of three Trans-Canada pipelines and may have damaged the other two. Xcel has activated the fuel-switch customers and is begging everybody else in their service area from EAstern North Dakota through western Wisconsin to not use gas appliances, turn the heat down to 60 and lower if you can do it safely, and don't be a hog. the pressure of their entire system is at risk, they are fuelling the whole area from the south pipeline going into the twin cities and michigan. there has been no further word from Hydro in Montreal, the operator, whether they can reactivate the other two pipelines safely.

this as the temps are going down to 20 below in Minneapolis and worse in North Dakota, wind chills can reach 50 to 60 below in parts of the area.

this winter socks dead skunks so far, and we're only halfway into it. and past couple days, worse if you're in Winnipeg, eh.

posted Hide Post
        I have heard that as well. I do know that an exact match is paramount. Not that I ever buy close enough, say in the spray pattern. Did see a house get an oil soot bombing because of a mismatched jet. I thought the salesman knew better, as I did pick his brain from time to time on many an issue. Sadly they {3 brothers} have advertised all plumbing & electrical items in stock at a closure discount. Mainly an appliance store now.
        Saw the headlines about the pipeline on Yahoo, hope they can make the necessary pipeline switching to move gas to help all.

posted Hide Post
        the plate on the furnace clearly indicates the oil consumption per hour. that correllates to the stamp on the nozzle. it's hard for a pro to mess that up. heck, assuming Joe Average could get parts at the wholesaler (you walk out empty-handed unless you have your sales tax permit on file), Joe Average could get that part right, assuming they were lucky enough to get the burner back together.