All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  TV Shows  Hop To Forums  Favorite Shows    Nicole Curtis
        Page 1 2 
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Nicole Curtis Sign In/Join 
        posted Hide Post
        Nicole ,I am a social worker in Ohio . I just watched your show and I am excited and amazed by your redoing old houses . I need your help. I work with returning citizens/ex-offenders. Employment for many of them is extremely difficult. I am talking to someone about deconstructing housing , making them livable and selling , renting them .Replicating what you do would help us employ &possibly house them . Our city is into demolition,they may entertain this. Can we communicate by email ? do you have access to my email ? is there another way to contact you ? bajer

Beverly A. Jordan

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Beverly - The truth of it is that neither Nicole nor DIY are reading these posts. This is a DIY sponsored message board but everyone here are just 'regular' people with some interest in DIYing.

You could try emailing DIY directly (there's an email address somewhere on the main DIY home page). Don't expect too much if any response though. The process of making a TV show is totally different from what most people assume. Having a worthy cause such as yours would only be a very minor draw to taping a show about it.

Jaybee

Posts: 10452 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        fact: the producers found Nicole by accident. they were searching for a perky blonde Realtor to justify some work's value on another show, and picked her out of a firm's web site. called up, asked if she'd consult on camera about the increased value of ripping out an original kitchen for chrome, granite, and tile... and she exploded.

discussion at Producer HQ ensued, and on a whim, the owner said, let's see if we can follow her for a day and see if there's anything in this.

uh, yeah, you think?

the "Golden Gut" still rules TV. you get a new winning formula... by tossing out the old formula sometimes, and going with your judgement.

if you NEED to contact Nicole Curtis directly, get in line... at either Nicole Curtis Designs (Google it) or on her Facebook page. warning, you are one in a thousand, and she's got work to do. not that she's nasty, but she's a hard worker and it's her own money in her projects.

busy people have to compartmentalize their time, and there is a finite space for "who's this?" between work and family that is small. I've personally observed this from Vice-Presidents to folks blinking at fire in their apartment buildings, and if you don't hear anything back, well, one in a thousand. it's not you. the finite space is full today.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5832 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        BAJ,

There's also the issue of rehabbing homes on which ex-offenders are working, and specifically the safety of the neighbors who may one way or the other learn that ex-offenders are working in their neighborhood. If they're s-e-x-ual offenders, they may be listed with the state police (as they are in Michigan).

These lists provide data on specific employment and living locations. I do know that many women, especially mothers, sign up for notification that these offenders are living or working in their neighborhood. You might want to give some thought to how mothers would feel if a group of ex-offenders were working on homes in their neighborhood.

Recently there was a PBS special on the attempts of a group to create homes for female Veterans to assist them with various re-integration issues.

To my surprise, there was resistance in the neighborhood. These were Vets, not recovering addicts or ex-offenders. Granted, these were issues of living there, not working during the day and leaving at night. But I was surprised at the resistance expressed by some of the protestors.

To deconstruct, make the houses liveable and either rent or resell is a major undertaking, requiring municipal assistance if eminent domain is involved, financial institution concurrence if the homes are foreclosed, and/or the participation of a variety of contractors.

That's not including the very substantial upfront financial investment. There are many folks who feel that offenders are a drain on the economy as it is and might be opposed to giving priority to them as opposed to non-offender construction workers.

Another issue to be considered is which contractors would be willing to accept and train ex-cons. I imagine there may be some liability issues here.

I applaud your efforts to help this population, but I do think you're facing an uphill battle. However, I wish you luck.

Posts: 1948 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        just to add... your city will have a preferred use map as part of their zoning plan. find the area in which they want to put halfway houses, and find something there. there is almost always something that can be worked on in any corner of a city.

there is a reason halfway houses are generally co-op or dorm type structures, and that is because you only have to fight uphill once. same thing with rehab or assisted-living facilities.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

Posts: 5832 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        Any new shows in the pipeline from NC ?

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1550 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Year of Detroiting starts in October on the older Scripps network HGTV, it's been promoed for a couple weeks now. with a side trip to Cleveland.