All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  TV Shows  Hop To Forums  Favorite Shows    Nicole Curtis-rehab addict...is terrific!!
        Page 1 2 3 
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Nicole Curtis-rehab addict...is terrific!! Sign In/Join 
        posted Hide Post
        there isn't much of a crew on Rehab Addict. at best from what I heard (Tom Barnard Podcast #123) there is a camera or two, a sounder, whatever carpenter or trade is needed right now, and the rest is little miss dynamo whaling away. if somebody walks up and says hi, they either get a wave or a paintbrush in their hand.

it's her money in the house and the project, and she's obviously tightfisted. based on that, you don't need three crews, a field production crew, interns, catering, and the whole nine yards to cover the action. if it was me, I'd just one-man-band it, there's enough time to get the B-roll and action close-ups while she does the whole room full of nasty plastic tile or Marlite over brick.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5475 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        [QUOTE]Originally posted by swschrad:

...if it was me, I'd just one-man-band it, QUOTE]

Well, just be sure to wear tank tops and display plenty of flesh Cool

On a more serious issue than basic DIY'er appeal, I'd like to see more of groups that are rehabbing for charity, such as Purple Heart Homes, which rehabs homes for disabled Vets. http://www.purplehearthomesusa.org/

Posts: 1725 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        uh, "one man band" refers to a single person as cinematographer/reporter/lighting/sound/packhorse in the news biz.

can't fit a tank top and tight pants over a keg body (urp!) and ain't no way anybody would want to look at me in the first place, I really planned my news career for behind the camera. as the business changed to everybody gets seen, I got shown the door.

I've done a couple of charity deals, one for Habitat's painting schtick, one for a private contractor that came to somebody's rescue. most of the useful ones require a week at a shot in these parts, and we have issues with that, alas. it's a good time if everybody's working.

Posts: 5475 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        St. Paul house is done and for sale. the wife decided it would be nice to go look at it today, so as soon as the bread was done, off we went. "1801 Ca" is all you have to feed Google maps before you get the pin on the address. popular search.

well, if anybody wondered how they get any work done with looky-loos driving by and blocking the street and putting noise on the "set," don't worry. they use a LOT of misdirection, because the apparent 70-90 days it takes them to post-produce the episodes would otherwise mean they couldn't get any work done.

1801 Case? nah, miles away. Case and Duluth street signs, which would put it near Swede Hollow? thought I had seen the house over there, but it was not this house. the actual location is the Payne neighborhood at 381 Case, cross street Arkwright, half a block in. fresh sand on the sidewalk and steps, so they probably had an open house today... 4x4 signs in the front and back yard announcing this was a Rehab Addict house.

looks nice, there is an addition in back that makes the house look much bigger than it photographed.

I had wondered for several years where these places really were. now you know, they're not where you think they are Wink either you drive around all day, or if you know the area, you know where to waste your time :-D

posted Hide Post
        oh, just to let you know why I like St. Paul better than Minneapolis... here's the story on the illustrious founder, Pig's Eye Parrant. the influential merchant.

you will better understand one former governor, Jesse Ventura, saying the streets were laid out by "drunken Irishmen," in a moment.

Pig's Eye Parrant, no formal first name known, was a very early settler, alright. colorful. his successful merchant career was in rotgut barrel whiskey down by the river bluffs, and he got his eye wrecked in one or another bar fight.

no wonder they decided to name it for a planned cathedral when they incorporated the frontier city.

but don't cry for the Parrants, a major landmark is named for Pig's Eye.

Pig's Eye Island in the Mississippi.

location of the Metropolitan Council of Governments sewage treatment plant.

my kind of city.

one of the best chroniclers of the area was the late Don Boxmeier of the Pioneer Press.

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        I was curious to see what the finished house looked like as well but every hit I got on 381 Case crashed my computer. Not that I couldn't persevere, but there's a limit to how much time I wanted to spend to see the house.

I did catch part of an episode the other night when she was rehabbing an old house with some great woodwork which was really a treasure. But then the demolition of walls started - hacking into plaster, dust flying...made me cough just to see all that mess.

I wondered if she cleaned up the mess or had her workers do it. Either way, that kind of aggressive hacking away at anything instead of being cautious is so clearly dramatic and designed for viewers rather than safety that I quickly lost interest.

Interesting history of St. Paul. Haven't heard Jesse Ventura mentioned in quite a while - he was really a colorful character, definitely his own person.

posted Hide Post
        the thing about old plaster that breaks/pulls away from the lath is, you can't fix the stuff. the hair coat has to be pushed in through the lath and sag over its back to anchor the weight of the wall. once that's gone, the whole thing can shatter off nailing up a picture hangar.

so it's gotta go, and delicate doesn't figure into the equation.

that episode was the Case house.

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        I wasn't thinking so much in terms of saving the plaster as all the dust and mess that were created.... dust in the air, on clothes, on their hair. Maybe there was an air filter someplace but I didn't see one.

I've got to pull part of a wet plastered wall which was damaged from a bad roof leak, and I can tell you that there will be plastic all around to catch and contain the mess. And I won't be letting the plaster pile up in such a way that it creates a trip hazard.

But then, I'm not a movie star Big Grin

I also think a homeowner who's living in the house being rehabbed thinks differently than someone who's not.

posted Hide Post
        well, the first time I whaled through Dad's back entry to fix plumbing, I didn't put down plastic. the second time, I did.

epic mess both times. plaster cuts plastic sheet, too.

we didn't fare much better in gutting out the basement of our own house the past couple years, nor in cutting two baby windows into egress windows with a dry concrete saw.

I think it takes Mike Holmes' crew to demo cleanly.

or maybe, like the doctor whose patient couldn't afford the operation, they retouched the films.

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        quote:

I think it takes Mike Holmes' crew to demo cleanly.

or maybe, like the doctor whose patient couldn't afford the operation, they retouched the films.

Or maybe the cleanup is just off camera and out of sight.

Or maybe airbrushing magically removed all the debris.

Anyway, it seems they have resources available to them that we ordinary folks don't Smile.

posted Hide Post
        in telco, we call it "special (freaking) magic" and nobody will admit to being on that end of town when it happened.