All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  TV Shows  Hop To Forums  Favorite Shows    Nicole Curtis-rehab addict...is terrific!!
        Page 1 2 3 
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Nicole Curtis-rehab addict...is terrific!! Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Just saw Rehab addict last night on HGTV. Wow! I totally have a new TV hero. She is so smart, hard working and competent. What I love most is how she recycles. Replacing 100 year old carriage doors? No problem, use them as room dividers in your basement.
        Finding a work bench in the trash. Priceless.
        And she is cute, but not in a ditsy flirty way that really chafes my shorts. She is not a stereotype of a pretty girl using her wiles to get somebody else to do it for her. She gets in there and does it herself, and knows what she is doing. I hope there are DVDs of her past seasons. C'mon HGTV, more Nicole Curtis!

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: Jan 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        new season (3?) underway Tuesdays at 9 cst on DIY network. redoing a condemned "dollar house."

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5492 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        she would be sooooo proud of me Smile Just saved a boat load of money by asking our cabinet maker to make our cabinets out of "scrap pile" wood. They turned out awesome. In fact, he is looking into doing that again. Ha!

Posts: 6 | Registered: May 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        Nic is very easy on the eyes, for sure. Wink

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I especially like her "hot librarian" look with her hair pulled back wearing glasses. oh yes, I could stare at her all day long...

Posts: 149 | Registered: Dec 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Krafty Kate:
        Just saw Rehab addict last night on HGTV. Wow! I totally have a new TV hero. She is so smart, hard working and competent. What I love most is how she recycles. Replacing 100 year old carriage doors? No problem, use them as room dividers in your basement.
        And she is cute, but not in a ditsy flirty way that really chafes my shorts. She is not a stereotype of a pretty girl using her wiles to get somebody else to do it for her. She gets in there and does it herself, and knows what she is doing. I hope there are DVDs of her past seasons. C'mon HGTV, more Nicole Curtis!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I feel the same way! Caught her tonight with hubby! We love how she respects & appreciates older homes! I love the Harriet Home, it is my perfect/ideal home. Thanks!
        quote:
        Originally posted by Krafty Kate:

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Recycling certain items come with a "cave canem". Old window sashes are usually loaded with lead paint. As are old houses themselves. Not to be a downer, but they [the show] may want to pay more attention to it. Homeowners should as well but are not bound to the rules applied to contractors... Not picking on this show as very few raise any flags pertaining to this important issue.

Posts: 1397 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        the sander comes out a little too often, but she's probably a Plutonium Club member at the paint stripper aisle. and that's how it should be with old old paint. if it wasn't mixed on site with linseed oil and white lead powder (and I hear that was such an awful job the apprentices always did it,) they still used white lead as the blocker and color base until prohibited effective 1976.

either heat strip it, or chemically strip it... with a wind behind you and preferably a dust mask, folks. lead stupid is forever. and methylene chloride stupid comes on faster and takes the liver as well.

fun facts: in the late 60s, you could still buy a bag of white or red lead to mix your own in Fargo. never assume everybody jumped off the wrong train when they were supposed to. we still had cans of the nasty old paint in the basement into the 80s, and that stuff was still doing patch-ups on old houses because it matched until the old-timers died.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

Posts: 5492 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        AS I recall from my lead abatement classes a heat gun on high produces temps in excess of 1100 degrees F creates toxic fumes. Running the gun on a lower setting is far safer, but does not work as well. And yes working with methylene chloride is a death wish...

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        I've been around a lot of home improvement TV shows and have also been through all the lead paint abatement classes. The first thing we do when scouting a prospective project is check for lead all around the possible work areas. If it's positive, then the project is a pass and doesn't happen - at least not on TV.

Totally impossible to abide by the containment rules (even though they are all BS, but that's another story) while the area has a full production crew working there. As not too many TV production companies are up for paying hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines, almost certain that if you see it in a show there is no lead there.

Jaybee

Posts: 10127 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Jaybee, I assume those are quick tests.

houses as old as Nicole does will all have lead paint. even if everything inside is gutted, there is old paint outside on the stucco and wood that will ping the lead-o-meter.

youse working pros always bring gotchas to the table on lead paint. seems the only way to win is not to play...

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        There are actually only two test methods accepted by RRP: Certain approved brands of swabs and a very expensive electronic lead detector.

I've actually been surprised as how often we do NOT find lead paint. Lots of houses tested that were old enough that I expected a positive hit, only to find either none or limited areas on some trim that was not going to be disturbed.

The RRP laws are totally bogus of course but are currently still the law. The result of a well-meaning cause written by the equivalent of pre-schoolers. Fortunately, our local code department doesn't test or enforce any lead abatement so we may actually start working on some of those positive hit houses. Since the law went into effect a few years ago we walk away from any houses that contain lead in the potential remodel area. Once I learned that the fine can easily get into the millions of dollars range and that there is no way to avoid them, it just didn't make any sense.

Having lead present is a killer for a TV show. I don't think too many production companies are willing or able to dispose of their cameras and lenses every time the equipment enters and exits the enclosed work area. Not to mention the sex appeal of a pretty show host wearing a full body coverall, gloves, hair covering, goggles and a breathing filter. Everything is documented so there is no escape if somebody wanted to press the RRP laws.

But again, the silver lining is just how few houses actually test positive. Or at least, around here.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jaybee,

Jaybee

Posts: 10127 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Same in the these parts. Local CO people look the other way. As they know well intended lead rules [by idiots in Washington] can not work in the real work. But since those same mindless, humorless bureaucrats never worked a day, how would they know ? Big Grin
        No one could ever get work done as the job would double in price. And yet you still have a 100 year old house with lead issues in other rooms, [and outside as well] that site by idly. Wink

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        And an ultimate irony if not grossly unfair situation to consumers and homeowners is that imports from China have been identified as having lead, yet they're apparently marketed before having been tested.

Yet homeowners are obligated to address lead issues and pay remedial costs out of our own pockets, and at least in Michigan must execute lead disclosures when selling their homes.

Even if the Chinese were obligated to sign lead disclosures in products, it would be meaninless because it doesn't appear as if there's any testing before the products are marketed.

And it's not clear to me what enforcement is available other than recall once lead is discovered.

That's one of the reasons I boycott Chinese products.

But lead isn't the only toxic substance that's a threat. BHA and BHT were identified as carcinogens years ago but food manufacturers are still allowed to add them.

Parabens containing phthalates are used routinely in many costmetics despite the fact that they've been identified as toxic.

It's easier for legislators and the government to enact corrective methods binding homeowners, who individually don't have much lobbying power, than it is to address toxic ingredients in products made by corporations with powerful lobbyists.

Stepping down from my soapbox now.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1739 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Was a snowin day yesterday. Eek
        DIY ran a group of the shows. I too admire how it is paramount in Nicole's mind to stay true to the original design and style of the house. Rarely seen on those shows as most are product show cases for odd items like floating bathroom gas fireplaces and such. And ideas like that separate RR from the rest of the pack.
        Nicole please keep the tank tops Wink but sandels on a jobsite. OUCH !!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        No question that she's very attractive, which is I'm sure why she's on the show. Hometime used to play that game as well, pairing a nice looking man with a nice looking woman. Even if a viewer wasn't interested in DIY projects, they offered nice eye candy, as does Nichole.

From what little I've watched of both these shows, they deal more in generalities than in specifics.

My all time favorite, until it went too upscale for my budget, was This Old House. I thought the level of detail in repair and remodeling was greater than any other show in that genre.

Posts: 1739 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Could not agree more. Most if not all show ideas and results with very little actual work performed. The exception is TOH, and they are far and away the best at what they do. Hometime is a close second. Hometime did run a lengthy segment of lead paint issues recently. Small world.

posted Hide Post
        WUNC here in NC doesn't carry Hometime anymore. It isn't available commercially either. They do have time in their schedule for 25-30 year old reruns of Lawrence Welk though! In my best "Andy Rooney Voice" Did you ever notice... how when PBS does fund raisers they chuck out all of their regular programming and put on stuff they only show when begging for money?" So I tune in to catch This Old House and it's not on so I tune out... Dean and his many "wives" on Hometime, every time his female partner left it was time to find a new TV Wife... it is his stick.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 618 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        At least Hometime takes the time to explain the jobs and trade performed and why they are important to the building process. I can do without the trips to HD with the host telling the finer points to a putty knife purchase. But that is just me. The man does have to pay the bills.
        The local PBS runs its member fund raising with those silly specials as well. But at least the will run a mini marathon of say four shows of TOH that did not run at its proper time slot. Big Grin