All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  TV Shows  Hop To Forums  Favorite Shows    Holmes Inspection - Supposedly New, but Not
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Holmes Inspection - Supposedly New, but Not Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Advertisements about new season of Holmes Inspection on DIY got me interested, since I've already seen most of the episodes at least more than one time. Twice so far the new episode has been an episode from 3 years ago! This is not new unless you have never seen the show! The last show recorded on 5/14 also said new and originally aired in 2010. Are any of the shows actually going to be new?

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jul 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        You can check out his website. I believe the only new shows are Holmes Makes It Right airing in Canada on the W network. I suspect they'll make it to either HGTV or DIY in the near future.

http://makeitright.ca/holmesma...right/episodes-guide

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 710 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        So the man that claims integrity is paramount seems to be a sellout. Unless he no longer has control of his shows content, which would seem odd. Maybe its that Canadian dollar thing. Big Grin

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1428 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        TV show hosts have very little if any input as to anything about the shows. All the decisions - choosing homeowners, choosing projects, highlighting certain areas for TV, are made by a preproduction crew.

Jaybee

Posts: 10289 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        these days the Loonie is periodically worth more than our buck.

the deal with Mike Holmes is, he has the capacity to shine a light on rampant issues that leave bad homes and devastated owners behind. as he gets results in one area, he shifts the lens' glare to another series of shortcuts or dummy moves that are too prevalent. curiously enough, that ends up being another production and gets another show name.

along the way, some of his projects start out well and peter out. the magazine tanked due to a publisher that couldn't get it done, and some folks are torqued about that. for what amounts to two lattes worth of loss or so. the home inspection industry isn't pleased with him because he opens things up where their guidelines say don't.

that's life in the spotlight. you expect everybody to be perfect in all aspects? bah.

Holmes is a carpenter. judge that work. the TV work is mostly making a case for better jurisdiction, homeowner protection, and professionalism. judge that by whether the cops get tougher and the trades get better.

way too much backbiting and hate going around. geez, it's a TV show. see those buttons that are arrow-up and arrow-down? they can get rid of something that bothers you. click and chill.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5706 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        One of the biggest problems is how much do you correct in any given project. Mikes shows do touch on that all the time. But he has the ability to make all the corrections necessary. Most of the real world is not able to do that. Time after time you leave a job wondering if you have fixed all the issues. But how many of us can stay on the job for days working for free to make all the corrections needed.

Posts: 1428 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        2 things that have always bothered me. 1st is the money game. you all have been there. bank wants its interest money. squeezes the builder, he inturn hurries the subs. who hurry there guys. its all about get it or git!. hurry up or leave. no body has the nurts, to tell the builder to chill. and you will get a better product. workers put there head down and get it done. they know its not being done correctly. workmenship out the door . but as was said earlier. i cant afford to stay here and work free. true statement
        2nd thing is undocumented workers.
        i personally quit a job because i didnt like what was going on. the owner hired 1 licensed plumber...me... he had 4 crews of.....workers...
        undocumented workers. being paid below plumbers wages. i would go from job to job meeting the inspecter. getting things passed. i was just a license. 4 plumbing crews out of work. thats 8 americans. just 1 company multiply that times..thousands of companies. unemployment figures...
        third thing...and thats the tv carpenter, mike trying to do plumbing work, stick to banging boards and leave the turd herding to a turd herder....i saw him on a show, penalise a carpenter for caulking around the base of a toilet...said it was not done..NOT... its code nimrod its a health and safety rule. people pee pee on the floor, germs crawl under the toilet and bred, party, whatever a germ does, they do it. not safe..harmfull to the public. so the code says ALL fixtures SHALL be SEALed to the wall or floor. shall means do it or get a red tag

i know i said only 2 things and i wrote three
        i got on a roll and could not stop...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I thought that to with some of his descriptions of the electrical code as well. Some things just did not add up. When he explains more complex aspects of circuitry I'm lost. And I do know the Canadian code is slightly different than the NEC, but maybe 1% or less of the time. But it is TV and he is trying to get his point across. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
        I see Mike H is a carnival barker for Allstate homeowners insurance these days. Not that their is anything wrong with that..

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by CommonwealthSparky:
        I see Mike H is a carnival barker for Allstate homeowners insurance these days. Not that their is anything wrong with that..

Decades ago when I worked for insurance defense firms (before gravitating toward the corporate side of law), I had the opportunity to learn from the inside which auto carriers were ones to avoid, and which ones sometimes "stiffed" their policy holders. I also read in the last few years that one of those bad guys had been engaging in some inappropriate actions with its homeowners.

So guess which company wasn't on the good carrier list? No wonder they're using Holmes, as if he knows anything about insurance that makes him an expert.

Sorry for any offense to the Holmes lovers here, but I always thought he was a bit bombastic.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1896 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I think it is tacky on his part. Free enterprise is one thing, and I could see Mike selling trucks or lumber, but I can not get my head around insurance sales. Mainly because I have seen to many snakes in the home owners insurance business. As in agents disbursement practices. But following close behind are public adjusters. Like the sheep dog and wolf in the Warner Bros cartoons of yesteryear.

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Endorsements are based solely on a recognized face - doesn't really matter if it's stuff in your field of expertise or not. Even the 'experts' are just endorsing the product, doesn't mean that they really use it. (Or at least, used it before becoming the product spokesperson)

If Allstate is willing to pay Mike H. a few hundred thousand dollars to put his fact to a legitimate product, he would be a fool not to do it.

Jaybee

Posts: 10289 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        the entire series "disaster house" was a front for Allstate. not illegal or fattening, but they should have bumpered it more prominently, like "wild kingdom" was properly bumpered and identified as a Mutual of Omaha property.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5706 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Jaybee:
        Endorsements are based solely on a recognized face - doesn't really matter if it's stuff in your field of expertise or not. Even the 'experts' are just endorsing the product, doesn't mean that they really use it. (Or at least, used it before becoming the product spokesperson)

If Allstate is willing to pay Mike H. a few hundred thousand dollars to put his fact to a legitimate product, he would be a fool not to do it.

Heck, I never begrudge a man making a buck. Big Grin
        Saw Mike today shilling for Fitrete filers and they are a product I see in use all the time. Just don't like to see GCs & insurance companies in bed together.

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Totally understand that. I find that when I say the words "insurance company" that the phrase "spawn of the devil" is not too far behind.

As a GC, our largest expense is material costs, followed by payroll. Not too far behind those are insurance costs.

Jaybee

posted Hide Post
        When you tally up all the WC costs, UC costs, liability, vehicle ins cost, etc, you feel robbed. Second generation extortion.
        At least Jesse James wore a mask.

posted Hide Post
        Noticed DIY promoting a new show with Mike as the host. May have to give it a watch.

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Do you remember what the name of the show is? Is it another oversight of botched projects?

Perhaps becoming an Allstate spokesman was a good career move for Holmes. Wink

Posts: 1896 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Holmes makes it Right.
        Which was in an earlier post that I just caught.