DIY Message Boards
Why is this board so dead?

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5061043504/m/1363967167

Aug 03, 2012, 04:47 PM
sneakers
Why is this board so dead?
Doesn't anyone watch DIY? Confused
Aug 04, 2012, 09:49 AM
Conrad
Many, if not most communities cable systems only carry the DIY channel on the extended upper tier. The basic and sub (or limited basic) do not have it.

We opt for the limited basic at 20 a month, and watch netflix instead. The only DIY or HGTV I see is on the computer and these boards.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Conrad,
Aug 04, 2012, 11:24 PM
sneakers
quote:
Originally posted by Conrad:
Many, if not most communities cable systems only carry the DIY channel on the extended upper tier. The basic and sub (or limited basic) do not have it.

We opt for the limited basic at 20 a month, and watch netflix instead. The only DIY or HGTV I see is on the computer and these boards.


Well, that explains a lot. Come to think of it, I recall not having DIY, too, maybe a couple years ago.

Thanks, Conrad.
Feb 04, 2013, 05:14 AM
princesj
thanks for sharing such a nice information.


flooring Store Pinetop, AZ|flooring Store Snowflake, AZ

This message has been edited. Last edited by: princesj,
Jan 17, 2014, 09:26 PM
sneakers
DIY is by far superior to HGTV these days. HGTV has turned into a weird game-show network with so much turned into competition. Or it's forever House Hunters and Love It Or List It.

I like the educational aspect of DIY. I like the entertainment value of Renovation Realities, which I think is second only to Modern Family as a comedy.
Aug 09, 2014, 10:40 AM
cdiggs
I watch DIY less and less these days. They have reached their lowest point in years, trying to entertain, not inform. I used to watch to learn something. Now they're advertising "Legendary Rocker Daryl Hall"... IMHO He's neither legendary nor a rocker. I wonder if his old buddy Oates will show up and NOT play guitar.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cdiggs,
Aug 09, 2014, 06:23 PM
GardenSprite
I think the phrase "trying to entertain" is appropriate, with emphasis on the "trying". The entertainment aspect is still elusive. Some of the programs are just silly. Matt Blashaw's is one that I find so juvenile it's intolerable.

I still like to watch Holmes and DeSilvia; at least there's something to be learned there.

And the Tiny House series is interesting, especially since it presents an alternative to the bigger is better housing philosophy and showcases people who are conscious that there's more to life than having the latest appliances and huge houses with huge energy footprints.
Aug 10, 2014, 02:19 PM
swschrad
but-but-but marble walkways and concrete counters!

I almost expect to see promos for "the Barack Obama Project, coming in 2017" as soon as he's got the spare time.


sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
Aug 10, 2014, 02:48 PM
CommonwealthSparky
quote:
Originally posted by cdiggs:
I watch DIY less and less these days. They have reached their lowest point in years, trying to entertain, not inform. I used to watch to learn something. Now they're advertising "Legendary Rocker Daryl Hall"... IMHO He's neither legendary nor a rocker. I wonder if his old buddy Oates will show up and NOT play guitar.


Sums up how I feel about most shows being produced today for DIY & HGTV. Just not my cup of tea.


Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...
Aug 25, 2014, 09:24 PM
Sparky617
quote:
Originally posted by GardenSprite:
I think the phrase "trying to entertain" is appropriate, with emphasis on the "trying". The entertainment aspect is still elusive. Some of the programs are just silly. Matt Blashaw's is one that I find so juvenile it's intolerable.

I still like to watch Holmes and DeSilvia; at least there's something to be learned there.

And the Tiny House series is interesting, especially since it presents an alternative to the bigger is better housing philosophy and showcases people who are conscious that there's more to life than having the latest appliances and huge houses with huge energy footprints.


Tiny House isn't on a Scripts station, it's on FYI which I believe is owned by the same folks that own History and A&E. Good show.


General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Aug 30, 2014, 07:55 AM
CommonwealthSparky
quote:
Originally posted by GardenSprite:
I think the phrase "trying to entertain" is appropriate, with emphasis on the "trying". The entertainment aspect is still elusive. Some of the programs are just silly. Matt Blashaw's is one that I find so juvenile it's intolerable.

I still like to watch Holmes and DeSilvia; at least there's something to be learned there.

And the Tiny House series is interesting, especially since it presents an alternative to the bigger is better housing philosophy and showcases people who are conscious that there's more to life than having the latest appliances and huge houses with huge energy footprints.



Mike Holmes went so silly Hollywood I would puke after watching 5 minutes of him. Sad to see as at one time he was in my "Top 5 of Home Improvement" show people. Now he is a charlatan with bad tatooing. Sad.
{Spellchecker points out my typing error but my 1927 Winston Simplified Dictionary, Coal Township School District says otherwise}.

Mike{?} DeSilvia points out previously made building mistakes and then provides solutions without a meltdown and I like that. Makings of a good show.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,


Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...
Aug 30, 2014, 12:43 PM
swschrad
John DeSilvia got weaned pretty fast from calling incompetents "shoemakers", now it's clowns and weasels and crooks he's following. in his half-hour he can only show slapdash nonsense in one or two places, and how it's corrected, but the message comes across.

most of these guys... Holmes, Bauemler... have licensing programs, cross-reference suppliers, etc. all across their businesses. DeSilvia isn't doing that. although his website does list an agent...


sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
Aug 30, 2014, 08:46 PM
nona
I quit watching most of those shows (but not all, I do watch Disilva )when they started using sledge hammers as primary tools
Aug 31, 2014, 08:48 AM
CommonwealthSparky
Thanks for the name correction, {John, not Mike} swschrad. We use the term "trunk slammers" when coming across crappy workmanship !!!!
I reach for the remote whenever a homeowner is allowed to mule kick drywall off the 2x4 wall. Good TV? Hardly. Dangerous? Very.

Guess they are on hiatus now but for some odd reason I enjoy Inside & Out{?} withe two quarky cousins. I do learn block work, tiling and brickwork ideas. Plus they do not take it all to serious and that is paramount in my world.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,


Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...
Aug 31, 2014, 08:56 AM
Jaybee
Keep in mind that the decision to kick in a wall or pull out that sledgehammer is not made by the show host - The producer is going to make that call.


Jaybee
Aug 31, 2014, 02:42 PM
CommonwealthSparky
Yea, I get that but whenever I see that on a show its next stop Comedy Central for me !!!
I don't think you will ever see the producer of This Old House instructing Tommy Silva that the homeowner should mule kick out a section of rock to help boost the ratings. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,


Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...
Aug 31, 2014, 03:37 PM
Jaybee
quote:
Originally posted by CommonwealthSparky:

I don't think you will ever see the producer of This Old House instructing Tommy Silva that the homeowner should mule kick out a section of rock to help boost the ratings. Big Grin


Actually (and sadly) that is very likely to happen eventually.


Jaybee
Aug 31, 2014, 09:33 PM
CommonwealthSparky
Disagree with that. Tom S, Norm A or Rich T would leave the shop before that would ever be allowed to happen. They have what we have, integrity. Big Grin


Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...
Aug 31, 2014, 10:31 PM
Jaybee
Unfortunately I'm coming from the experience of hundreds of how-to TV shows. The job of the host is to be the face of the program. All the decisions on what is done, how it's done and what is shown are made by a production crew.


Jaybee
Sep 01, 2014, 10:01 AM
CommonwealthSparky
Spam bumper. That time of the year I guess


Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...