All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  TV Shows  Hop To Forums  Cool Tools    Coolest Tool you have
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Coolest Tool you have Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Alright, I'm tired of seeing "Raj's" make $200 in 30 minutes post. So, I thought I'd put something new on top.

What is the coolest tool you've seen that you'd like to own. Or what is the coolest tool you own?

I'll start with the Porter Cable drywall sanding system. I'm getting ready to finish 1000 square feet of basement and this thing looks like to best solution short of hiring out the drywall finishing to someone else.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 710 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        If you are talking about the Porter Cable pole mounted sander that hooks up to your shop vac........I've used that and it's amazing. Especially good for removing popcorn ceilings.

Now a better solution is to do what I do - I hire out a real pro for drywall. Very little dust when you really know what you are doing.

Hard to come up with a #1 favorite. Love my sonic crafter. And the Kreg jig. Oh yeah - the self-leveling laser level, just gotta love that!

Jaybee

Posts: 10289 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Expanding to the gardening category, I love my scuffle hoe. It's better than any hoe and/or rake I've used for weeding, loosening tough weeds and just aerating the top levels of the soil.

It isn't really a "cool tool" or unique, just very, very helpful for my style of gardening.

Posts: 1896 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Jaybee,
        Yes that is the tool I was referring to. I hate to hire stuff out at my own house.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 710 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        sorry, these are very task-specific. spank me, mock me, make me write bad checks if you don't like it.

on second thought... I do well enough on all three at present Wink

(1) coolest tool used: the Quersa wall gobbler. used it in the hospital, it had two opposing rows of carbide studs that would gouge a hole in brick, block, fire-rated block, concrete, etc. about an inch by an inch. if you have to replumb all the medical gas and EMT lines in several floors of hospital rooms, this dusty nasty little wrecker is unsurpassed.

(2) coolest tool owned: when I have concerns about exactly what is going on in an electronic circuit, my dual-trace 100 MHz storage oscilloscope is a dandy of a tool. see what's happening, not what you think is happening. if you know what you want to look for, and might miss it in a sea of wiggly lines, set the triggering, and when/if it occurs, bang! -- the waveform is frozen on the screen for analysis.

(3) coolest tool wanted: I really want a spectrum analyzer in the shack. for one, I have a rehab project on a CX/7a that will need spectral purity checking. for another, you can use it to see if there is band action on one of the ham bands. one of these days I hope to jawbone the wife into letting me dump $200 in parts and another $200 in little shielded boxes for the subassemblies. to buy is thousands, to build considerably less.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5710 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        coolest tool i want is a c an c machine
        i dream about what i could make
        coolest tool i have is inside copper tubing cutter
        i can cut a pipe in the wall without cutting sheetrock. or cut it flush.

update...i want one of those lights that is in your doctors office to look in your ears....i was abandoned in a dr office the other day for 2 hours.i played with one of them...now i want one.. it would be cool to look in walls, nooks and crannies..like sparky said..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        DeWalt 20V impact/drill driver. Where have you been my entire life? Lightweight, compact and a cool LED headlight for all those nucks and crannies.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1429 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I would love to have one of those new 3D printers that can make an object out of plastic by layering plastic 1 layer at a time until a solid object is formed
        That would be soooo cool

Posts: 2535 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Nona, are you referring to the ones that became infamous because they were used to create guns?

Posts: 1896 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        they can be used to make guns... orthothotics... and we have a guy here in the twin cities that is making sports cars from 3D printers.

fenders, bumpers, frame sections... hood... a no-foolin road ready sports car. takes a week or two per section. lighter and more unified.

I read last week that NASA thinks they can solve food problems using some sort of foodie base in a 3D printer. you still have problem #1 with that silliness, though... you have to have foodie base. not solving anything.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5710 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I saw on the news this week that doctors are using it to make models of the human heart and use these models to diagnose different heart defects and use these same models to help them see how to repair these defects

Posts: 2535 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Does anyone know when Cool Tools will start looking for new tools for next season?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        There is no next season, Cool Tools is all repeats now.

Jaybee

Posts: 10289 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by CommonwealthSparky:
        DeWalt 20V impact/drill driver. Where have you been my entire life? Lightweight, compact and a cool LED headlight for all those nucks and crannies.

nice...i have the 18 volt .

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post