DIY Message Boards
balls of nylon

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4911916776/m/4343913567

Dec 02, 2012, 06:48 AM
Frodo
balls of nylon
my grandmother used to knit
she died years ago, last week i was going thru the barn and found a hundred or more balls of nylon
she used to knit rugs and pot holders etc
sence i got the balls of nylon yarn
how do you knit? is it hard? can a big ole burley man do it? or.. burn barrel
Dec 04, 2012, 11:24 AM
GardenSprite
Frodo, yes, men CAN knit and it's wonderful to read that a "big ole burley man" is interested in trying! Wasn't there a football player who did needlepoint or something? Rosey Grier? Joe Namath?

First issue though is whether or not the nylon has deteriorated, especially if it's been in a barn, which I assume is not climate controlled. Is the nylon from nylon stockings with elastic, or is it fabric that's been rolled up in a ball?

If the latter, gently unroll it and see if any of the fabric crumbles or tears. If so, it's probably too weak to be used. If not, test machine wash a piece to see how it holds up. Some fabric looks stable but will degrade if machine washed. That's an indication that it's too unstable to use.

There are sites with photos which demonstrate how to knit, but it's easier to find someone who already knows how. You'll probably be better off learning a European (a/k/a English, Continental or German) style of knitting.

Check your listings of adult noncredit courses for local communities. Knitting isn't taught very much any more (when I last taught it in the late 90's there weren't more than a handful of women who took the class.)

You can also check yarn stores and places like Michaels and Jo-Ann Fabrics. But there might be a better chance of finding a knitting class at a store which sells yarn.

Think about what you would like to make, then search online for patterns. The pattern you choose will determine what size knitting needles to use. They range from very small diameters to large diameter needles as well as circular needles for knitting in the round, for sweaters, hats, etc.

Avoid making anything like stockings for now; the patterns are a bit more complicated than a beginner would want to tackle.

Basically, knitting isn't that much different from man type projects - you use tools (needles) and materials (the nylon, or yarn), and follow a pattern, as you would with woodworking. The yarn can be manipulated through a variety of stiches to create plain to complicated patterns.

If you're familiar with intarsia or marquetry, the analogy is the same - tools, patterns and raw materials. The difference is the type of tools, the patterns and the materials.

Here's one site that offers some knitting basics, but I think there are better videos and will look for some if the nylon survives the stability test.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/learn-to-knit

Here's a site with some beautiful and fairly complicated patterns (Aran Isle knits):

http://www.clanarans.com/

I would say that these are at the high end of knitting complexity and beauty. But they're an example of different styles of knits. I've made a few Aran sweaters and loved working on them; the patterns are varied and I never got bored, as is possible with plain knitting.

Let me know how the fabric holds up under the tests I've suggested and what you think you'd like to make and I'll help with some beginner's patterns.
Dec 05, 2012, 11:08 PM
Frodo
the fabric is good, i pulled on it
it did ok
i have hundred of 4 in balls of this stuff,
its a fabric/nylon strips
she made rugs and pot holders never saw clothes
i'll ck out a store for some needles and a little talk
thanks, i'll post back later
Dec 14, 2012, 06:09 AM
Frodo
found out the balls of fabric are for making braided
rugs or place mats..etc
braid 3 pcs of material together, then roll up and sew together. sounds easy,
http://i1357.photobucket.com/a...nternet/PC130136.jpg

http://i1357.photobucket.com/a...nternet/PC130135.jpg

i braided a few ft' and rolled it up. this stuff was all over my grand mas house. i remember tieing up my sister,the dog. i think i put a leash on a frog one time lol

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,
Dec 19, 2012, 10:59 AM
GardenSprite
Frodo, it looks as if all the material has already been formatted for braiding, as the edges are turned over (or under). There's a gadget that braiders use to turn the rough unseamed edges for braiding strips, and I'm guessing that's what your grandmother used, as turning the edges manually is a very, very tedious task.

You're right that sewing together the braided strips is not all that easy, especially when they're nylon.

You might try using a ball point needle - I've used them on fabrics like silkessence (a polyester fabric I used for jacket linings) and nylon because the ball points avoid puncturing sheer and delicate fabrics (unlike the sharps, which are standard needles used for sewing), which then cause them to run. (Think women's nylons - one poke with something sharp and the run typically ruins the whole stocking.)

You can get ball points at any fabric store and probably general grocery stores with a nominal fabric/sewing section.

I don't recall the sizing recommendations offhand but I'll check and post back. I'm thinking you could probably use a size 10 needle; you definitely wouldn't want anything like a 16 or 18 as those are for heavy fabrics like denim.

Also, there are websites with good instructions for sewing together the braids. If you haven't found any, I'll look them up.
Dec 27, 2012, 11:44 PM
Frodo
wife bought me a small loom, and laughed at me
so i made her some pot holders..
and ...yes..real men eat quiche i like mine with spinach and bacon
Jan 01, 2014, 05:58 PM
travis holmes
quote:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/learn-to-knit

thanks for this link buddy http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/learn-to-knit
Jan 01, 2014, 07:00 PM
GardenSprite
WARNING: The link is actually a link to hair dryer reviews. So don't click on it.

Wonder why? Oh, it's in his profile.

Travis, shame on you! Bad, bad spammer - trying to trick us with a legitimate link that I posted sometime ago.

Looks like the first spammer of the year.

Big bump, and a few pokes with a knitting needle.
Jan 15, 2014, 08:04 PM
Frodo
i have been playing with the nylon thread, i made a bunch of pot holders using a jig/loom
my question is what stitch do i use to close the last end
of the pot ho;lder
after i finish looming it, i pull it off of the loom, pull the slack down, that pretty much completes the other end..but the end with the loose loops..what stitch do i use there?
Jan 16, 2014, 07:07 PM
GardenSprite
Frodo, just to make sure I understand your question...

You're using a loom like this, right? And do you have the long hook that's used for pulling the strips through?

http://www.google.com/imgres?s...p=12&ved=0CFgQrQMwAA

If so, are you referring to the remaining loop in the upper left corner in the photo?

I used to pull mine through twice, then sometimes use thread to tack it in place. The loop is left to hang it from various holders with hooks.

BTW, are you removing the potholder before hooking each loop into the adjoining loop?

If your question is something else, could you post a photo so I can see what you're referring to? Thanks.
Jan 17, 2014, 08:47 AM
Frodo
yes i wlll post a picture...the loom is 2 sided...
only hooks on 2 sides not four

the loom comes with a needle not a knitting hook..but i bought a hook, i saw that was easier right off the bat
basicly all i am doing is stringing yarn from hook to hook,tie that off
then come back and weave yarn up/under the in the opsite direction
the trouble i am having is when its done
tieing in the yarn that was around the end hooks picture next week

Jan 17, 2014, 10:53 AM
GardenSprite
You aren't using a regular weaving loom, are you...the kind with a shuttle that's "thrown" back and forth between strings of yarn? The kind with warp and weft and heddles?

There's another smaller craft type loom which is basically rectangular with rounded ends, and pegs on each side for weaving.

I don't think I've seen the kind of loom you're describing, but it'll be interesting to see if something can be figured out to solve the issue you're having.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,
Jan 17, 2014, 06:05 PM
Frodo
this is going to sound funny, but it looks like this.only different
it has no slide, only the frame and needle

my answer sounded like elvis presley when asked about his realtionship with prescila,
"I treat her like a sister, only different"
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Beka...aft-Product/24255780
Jan 17, 2014, 06:43 PM
GardenSprite
This looks like a simplified and easier version of the larger looms which are used for weaving thread as well as yarns. I think the "slide" acts as the shuttle, which would allow the yarn to be woven on a horizontal basis across the vertical threads.

I'm not that familiar with this kind of modified loom, but I would think that finishing would be the same as the larger loomed products, which often are finished with a capping cross weave and fringe. I'll need to check this out.

Sorry to ask, but it would help if I could see your finished potholders.

There are weaving magazines and forums (one of which I just found) where I could get more information if I can't figure out how to help you after seeing a photo of your creations. I think also that you could use your loom for more than potholders, for perhaps something like scarves to keep your family warm during the next Arctic Front.

Jan 17, 2014, 09:36 PM
Frodo
no problem...i can either take a picture of my ugly pot holders. or send ya a couple Smile pm an address. if worried about securety, use your work or your church.
i have made about 6 or 7 of them...and am moving on to place mats

Jan 18, 2014, 05:17 PM
GardenSprite
I still have a potholder on a loom - started it years ago and forgot about it, so thanks anyway!

Could you post the photos and PM the link to me? Be sure to show the bound off edges.

Given the problems I've had with this site since the Attack of the Giant Bots, I really don't want to download anything.

Sounds like you're becoming quite the weaver!

Jan 22, 2014, 09:56 PM
Frodo
how is the end that wraps around the loom,[the white thread] stitched into the red thread?

Jan 23, 2014, 11:58 PM
GardenSprite
I honestly don't know. But I don't think the white would be stitched into the red thread but rather tied off to create any of a variety of finishing touches.

This loom is kind of a cross between the large weaving looms and the smaller potholder looms but I've never seen one specifically like this.

One possibility based on larger weaving loom techniques is to weave the red yarn (or a different color yarn) across the base, separate from what are known as the weft (horizontal) threads, and tie those off. In other words, begin weaving as you would for the body of the potholder, but instead of continuing up further, tie off the red thread after a few rows at the base. These threads would create bottom "hem" of sorts.

Clip the ends of the white threads and let them remain loose as fringe. Then continue weaving the remaining portion of the potholder.

You could get quite creative and weave the tie-off threads with different colors and designs, something like you see in multi-color Scandinavian sweaters.

I found some various finishing techniques here: See Finishing Touches, about 3/4 of the way down the page:

http://autonopedia.org/crafts-...d-finishing-touches/.

Do you have instructions with this loom, and can you give me its specific name and any identifying codes? I'd like to see what is available from the manufacturer.

And I need to do some more research to find out more about securing these end threads.
Jan 31, 2014, 03:25 AM
Frodo
the instructions werre very vague at best...when i went online to the manufacture.i was offered a book to purchase for $19.95
i logged off