All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    Pendent Lighting
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Pendent Lighting Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I'm sorry if this is the wrong section but has to do with lighting.

I want to add 3 maybe 4 pendent lights over my kitchen island. I would like to avoid opening up the ceiling if at all possible. Can I use a round retro fit box for ceiling lights? My guess is yes since you can retro fit a recessed light and hang a 6 inch can light from drywall. I see tons of google hits about retro fitting recessed lighting but nothing regarding retrofitting non recessed lighting. I just want to make sure I can do this safely.

Thanks

Posts: 15 | Location: United States | Registered: Jan 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        IIRC, a round, remodel or old work box can hold about 11 or 12 pounds. That should be hefty enough for any pendant light.

There are also decorative surface mount tracks that are compatible with pendants if you are OK with that look.

Jaybee

Posts: 10477 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thank you Jaybee. I am going to start wiring the lights tomorrow.

Posts: 15 | Location: United States | Registered: Jan 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post