DIY Message Boards
Wiring garbage disposal and a light switch with one power source

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4691013504/m/9753917377

Sep 10, 2013, 02:30 PM
Fowler
Wiring garbage disposal and a light switch with one power source
My light switch over the kitchen sink and the switch for the garbage disposal are mounted under my upper cabinets. I plan to use one duplex box and one power source. How should I connect them?
Thanks,
Sep 10, 2013, 07:59 PM
Jaybee
Hot from power source goes to one switch with hot jumper to other switch. Grounds and neutrals tied together. Hot to light off top of one switch, hot to disposal off the top of the other switch.

Be aware that when you hit the disposal switch, you will dim the light briefly. Also, if that light is the only other thing on that circuit they you'll be OK, but if there are any other lights or outlets then you will overload the circuit. Depending on the size of your disposal, it could draw as much as 15 amps.

Jaybee
Sep 11, 2013, 11:07 AM
swschrad
the disposal is supposed to be on a separate circuit, it's one of the things called out in code for its own dedicated line. there is more than just that light on the circuit you want to saddle up to.

because it's power by water, it should have a GFI outlet to plug into.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
Sep 14, 2013, 12:08 PM
Fowler
So it looks like garbage disposal is wired by itself. Now I'm trying to wire the light switch to turn it on. I have a 15A 120V with 2 brass bolts on the side. I know the ground goes to the green screw and black goes two the brass screw. So do cap the neutral or does it connect to the second brass screw?
Thanks!
Sep 14, 2013, 01:43 PM
Jaybee
quote:
Originally posted by Fowler:
So it looks like garbage disposal is wired by itself. Now I'm trying to wire the light switch to turn it on. I have a 15A 120V with 2 brass bolts on the side. I know the ground goes to the green screw and black goes two the brass screw. So do cap the neutral or does it connect to the second brass screw?
Thanks!

(A) Only the black leads will attach to the light switch (other than the ground). You should have one black lead that is hot - this goes to one terminal on the switch. Then, there should be another black that goes to the light - this one connects to the other terminal on the switch. The two whites are wire nutted together. This would be if you have power fed into the switch location.

(B) If the power goes to the fixture, then you may only have two wires and one ground entering the switch box. If that's the case, then both the wires are technically black and are both attached to the terminals on the switch. If done correctly, the white wire should have black tape on it or black marker near the end - this codes it as a black wire. (Note: This doesn't always happen).

Hopefully you have a meter or sniffer to tell you which wire is hot. If not, then if there are two romex wires run into the switch box (2 each of black, white and ground) then it wired up as in (A) above. If there is only one romex (1 white, 1 black & 1 ground) then it's wired up as in (B).

Jaybee
Sep 14, 2013, 09:19 PM
Frodo
the correct way is to wire your switch as you want to do, under the counter...
that switch should control a reciptical under the sink,
THAT receptical should be a gfi ...with your garbage disposal pluged into it

howed i do jaybee?
Sep 15, 2013, 05:27 AM
Frodo
many moons ago.....in a apartment complex. a young and dashing plumbers apprentice, was under a kitchen sink
trying to figure out how to hook it up..this piping was a new challenge to him. but he figured he would give it a go...the garbage disposal was his to hook up, the electrican had not connected it yet. he was on site, working in another room. the plumbers assistant crawled under the sink. and the romex to the disposal touched his ear....ZAP. Eek .. he got an ear full....and so did the electrican!!! true story...1980

on the next job, he nailed the electrictions tool pouch to the rafters. during lunch!!!!!! Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,
Sep 15, 2013, 09:14 AM
Conrad
Note:
I actually prefer to have the Garbage Disp switch mounted on the side of the under sink cabinet. That way no one "mistakenly" turns it on from a wall switch looking for the light switch.
Sep 15, 2013, 09:47 AM
CommonwealthSparky
Child proof models are on the market as well.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...