All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    Motor Wiring Help
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Motor Wiring Help Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hi,

I am working on a prop project and I am wiring a DC wiper motor to AC.

The wiring goes like this:

Power --> Rectifier --> Capacitor --> Motor

I need to have a speed control for the motor. I am going to use a ceiling fan dial control in project box for that. Should I be wiring that between the power and the rectifier? Anything else I should keep in mind?

Functional, not pretty.

Posts: 6 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        there be dangers there. the case of the wiper motor is ground. one side of the power line would be on the case. bad news.

what you want is a transformer in between the power line and the rectification circuit. simplest way to get it is take a battery charger good for 5 or 10 amps (check the fuse on your typical car's wiper circuit) and power that from the line. the outputs will be rectified, so just put a capacitor on that, and feed the wiper motor.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5849 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I'd be wiring the existing motor case ground to the ground in my AC power 3 prong. Would you still see the need for the transformer?

Functional, not pretty.

Posts: 6 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        yes. there is no substitute for life safety. the transformer provides isolation from the line voltage.

in addition, without the transformer, it is possible for somebody to fiddle the controller, or for it to fail, and start the wiper motor on fire.

Posts: 5849 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks so much for the help. Do you think you could link me to a transformer that would work for my project? Would really help me out. Using a standard windshield wiper motor.

Yeah, catching the prop on fire probably wouldn't go over well with the kids Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SPL,

Functional, not pretty.

posted Hide Post
        depends on the draw of your wiper motor. in the Crown Vic, for instance, there is an 8.5 amp breaker for the wiper, washer, and associated circuits. a battery charger with at least a 5 amp setting is the easiest choice to use. almost everybody has a charger lying around, many a spare, and they show up at garage sales if you don't want to pop $20 or so. otherwise, you want a 120 volt primary to 12 volt secondary transformer, which is generally not easily availiable at a Radio Shack or something.

I'd dig up a charger and go for it.

posted Hide Post
        I have a trickle charger laying around I could use. I assume (ignorance implied) that would do the trick?

Functional, not pretty.

posted Hide Post
        might not (probably won't) have enough power. that wiper motor is pretty sure to draw 4 to 5 amps.

posted Hide Post
        Can you link me to an example charger, just to make sure I am looking at the right thing? Thanks again!

Functional, not pretty.

posted Hide Post
        like this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-2-5...vxp=mtr#ht_916wt_922

this one looks like the ubiquitous Chinese charger that is all over farm and fleet stores, Harbor Freight, and on half the hardware store shelves in America. Schumacher chargers are swoopier and have plastic cases. flea markets, thrift shops, and yard sales are full of them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

posted Hide Post
        Perfect, thanks a lot for all the help! I'll be hunting craigslist first and, if not there, some yard sales. Thanks again!

Functional, not pretty.