All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    Junction Box accessability
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Junction Box accessability Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I am installing a recessed fixture in a basement ceiling. The ceiling is drywall. The fixture is removable, that is it is installed with clips that hold it in place in the ceiling. One of the existing wires is too short to reach the JB attached to the light. Plus, there are a total of 4 pairs of cables in the existing box. The tiny little JB on the light will not hold that many. I want to install a JB in the space above the light that would be accessible by removing the light fixture. The JB would hold all the original wires. Would this meet code? My reasoning is that the JB attached to the light can only be reached by removing the fixture, so another JB in the same space should be OK. Comments?

Do Well.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Jan 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        Technically, no. Per NEC 314.72{D} Boxes shall be installed so that wiring is accessible without removing any part of the building. A light fixture no matter how it is affixed is considered to be a permanent part of the building. When dealing with drywall that is, a suspended ceiling is accessible, of course. You do raise a valid point with the notion that you remove the device to access the box on top of it. Say you wire the light by using a Romex run that is purposely longer than needed, called a tail. As in that longer run of Romex and working with the light on top of a stepladder. Wire the light and pop it into place. But exactly how do you perform work on the JB via the diameter of a hole provided by a recessed light?
        Certainly if you performed the instillation the way you describe and had an issue you would know where to look. How about the next guy ? Not so much.
        Have I seen this type of set up? Yes. Would I do it for a customer? NO.

Hope this helps, others may have run into this and found it is perfectly legal per code officers. And this would be very useful to know.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1450 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks for the comment. I stopped by our local inspection office and asked the question. I got the same answer you gave, essentially. I ended up "doing it right" and installed a JB open to the room with a cover. It looks bad, but it is in a storeroom, so it will have to do.

Do Well.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Jan 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Good to hear.
        Arlington Industries make a code compliant paintable plate that looks much nicer that the standard Steel City blank cover plate. A plus as well is that they proudly manufacture in Scranton, Pennsylvania.
        Worth a look see. Not plugging Arlington, just a product line I am familiar with, sure other companies make such a product as well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,

Posts: 1450 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        the most important part of this post is that you went to the local inspection office for information confirming what you read here.
        There are many people (most of them ) that know what they are talking about, but there also are a small percentage who think they know it all. fortunately, they don't last too long.
        Some here will remember my "feud ?? " with some longwinded person who though using laquer thinner for everything was the answer to all problems
        Getting a second opinion isn't only for medical reasons

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nona,

Posts: 2541 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Nona,
        Actually, Windex is the answer to all problems.

If you didn't watch My Big Fat Greek Wedding you'll miss the reference though.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 742 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Sparky, actually I use Southern comfort for both windows and refreshment, but my wife thinks I should quit licking the windows

Posts: 2541 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by nona:
        Sparky, actually I use Southern comfort for both windows and refreshment, but my wife thinks I should quit licking the windows

Cleaning windows with Southern Comfort would be alcohol abuse. ;-)

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 742 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I put nice white PVC cover plates on the junctions I had to have on my nice white ceiling, and nobody has seen them. you don't have to use a nasty galvanized plate there.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5769 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        WD-40 and a Sham-Wow is king of the castle.

posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by nona:
        the most important part of this post is that you went to the local inspection office for information confirming what you read here.
        There are many people (most of them ) that know what they are talking about, but there also are a small percentage who think they know it all. fortunately, they don't last too long. Big Grin
        Some here will remember my "feud ?? " with some longwinded person who though using laquer thinner for everything was the answer to all problems
        Getting a second opinion isn't only for medical reasons

Forgot all about that poster that blasted the people on board and their replies. I think she an "Instant Google Button" on her keyboard. Sadly her replies were so vanilla they fit about any query posted.

posted Hide Post
        I don't think you can abuse alcohol, I mean whoever heard of beating up a bottle of booze
        Someone once asked me if I had an alcohol problem, I responded "no, I drink, get drunk, fall down, no problem " Big Grin

posted Hide Post
        Yea and everyday a new craft beer is placed on the market. What's Budweiser going to do?
        Bock beer season soon....

Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        i do not have a drinking problem
        I drink...I fall down...no problem!!!

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3849 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        what Bud and Miller and Milwaukee's Best and Mare's Water are going to do is... cut headcount. several years running, not only is total barrellage going down in beerland, but the majors are falling faster as the crafts as a group are growing. wine is up. spirits are up or steady.

rehab centers are up with a bullet, buy the stock.

at this rate, Wisconsin might go back to the natives and the critters Wink time to start bidding for the factories of Kohler and Menards.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5769 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Yes they have what you call the "MacDonalds" quandary. Walk into Micky Ds for a burger and you know what you are getting. This is good and bad at the same time.
        Same with Bud.