All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    Equipment Bonding Jumper
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Equipment Bonding Jumper Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hi all,

I recently took ownership of a condominium. Prior to the purchase, I had an inspection done, and in the inspection report, it stated:

quote:
        The electric panel is missing an equipment bonding jumper between feeder conduit bushing and panel box

You can find pictures of the panel box with the cover removed here (apologies for the somewhat poor quality): http://sdrv.ms/17TxpTr . Could anybody help me better understand what the issue is here?

On a slightly different note, I have since uninstalled a lamp fixture in one of the bathrooms. With all the fuses turned off, my current meter is still showing a reading on the orange wired (picture of wiring also included at above link). Any chance that these two issues are related?

Appreciate any insights you could share !

Thanks,

-skyfx

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        I'm pushing this up to the top so it will be seen. I'm curious to see any responses to the question regarding the bonding jumper issue. This forum is in so many ways is an educational experience for me and better than reading a textbook.

Posts: 1739 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Click on this link: jumper

And maybe this explains why they seem to no longer care or monitor this site????????

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Re-mdlr,

Posts: 873 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Re-mdlr, did you notice that they're advertising for moderator positions? Apparently that board is actuallay monitored.

Quite a bit of difference in the level of activity.

Posts: 1739 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        That's the first time I've seen that site -- but I don't go on any other sites. I've had to deal with enough bullies on this site; I don't want to compound the problem. I did notice the pics of this poster look better than the link provided. I wonder if they're waiting for this site to die off and maybe concentrating on the other site -- which does contain ads that maybe they get paid for?

Posts: 873 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        bottom of page, the other site is owned by Internet Brands. that is not Scripps Networks, owner of this site. the other guys are a pure ad portal, this one is a value-add to the cablecast business of Scripps.

to me, an "equipment bonding jumper" would be any lead guaranteeing a hard ground. those clever conduit clamps on the other site surely qualify as rugged enough.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5492 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        I think what your inspection service is telling you that a certain type of connector is required to properly ground you panel. And since no main breaker is present, this is a sub panel. Evidently when this was wired a separate neutral and a separate ground was not required. Or was required and an inspection was never performed, Who knows?
        Subs require separate neutral and ground landings as an added safety feature. But then no green or bare copper wires seem to be present anywhere in the box. As in the metal conduit is carrying the grounding system. While legal at one time, new work requires a ground wire present in all circuits.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post