DIY Message Boards
Equipment Bonding Jumper

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4691013504/m/9323930177

Jun 03, 2013, 05:17 PM
skyfx
Equipment Bonding Jumper
Hi all,

I recently took ownership of a condominium. Prior to the purchase, I had an inspection done, and in the inspection report, it stated:

quote:
The electric panel is missing an equipment bonding jumper between feeder conduit bushing and panel box

You can find pictures of the panel box with the cover removed here (apologies for the somewhat poor quality): http://sdrv.ms/17TxpTr . Could anybody help me better understand what the issue is here?

On a slightly different note, I have since uninstalled a lamp fixture in one of the bathrooms. With all the fuses turned off, my current meter is still showing a reading on the orange wired (picture of wiring also included at above link). Any chance that these two issues are related?

Appreciate any insights you could share !

Thanks,

-skyfx
Jun 04, 2013, 04:19 PM
GardenSprite
I'm pushing this up to the top so it will be seen. I'm curious to see any responses to the question regarding the bonding jumper issue. This forum is in so many ways is an educational experience for me and better than reading a textbook.
Jun 04, 2013, 10:36 PM
Re-mdlr
Click on this link: jumper

And maybe this explains why they seem to no longer care or monitor this site????????

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Re-mdlr,
Jun 04, 2013, 11:39 PM
GardenSprite
Re-mdlr, did you notice that they're advertising for moderator positions? Apparently that board is actuallay monitored.

Quite a bit of difference in the level of activity.
Jun 05, 2013, 10:29 AM
Re-mdlr
That's the first time I've seen that site -- but I don't go on any other sites. I've had to deal with enough bullies on this site; I don't want to compound the problem. I did notice the pics of this poster look better than the link provided. I wonder if they're waiting for this site to die off and maybe concentrating on the other site -- which does contain ads that maybe they get paid for?
Jun 05, 2013, 10:43 AM
swschrad
bottom of page, the other site is owned by Internet Brands. that is not Scripps Networks, owner of this site. the other guys are a pure ad portal, this one is a value-add to the cablecast business of Scripps.

to me, an "equipment bonding jumper" would be any lead guaranteeing a hard ground. those clever conduit clamps on the other site surely qualify as rugged enough.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
Jun 05, 2013, 10:52 AM
CommonwealthSparky
I think what your inspection service is telling you that a certain type of connector is required to properly ground you panel. And since no main breaker is present, this is a sub panel. Evidently when this was wired a separate neutral and a separate ground was not required. Or was required and an inspection was never performed, Who knows?
Subs require separate neutral and ground landings as an added safety feature. But then no green or bare copper wires seem to be present anywhere in the box. As in the metal conduit is carrying the grounding system. While legal at one time, new work requires a ground wire present in all circuits.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...