DIY Message Boards
220 Gas Oven with only 110 Power?

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4691013504/m/8953951377

Aug 19, 2013, 01:30 PM
AlwaysAvocado
220 Gas Oven with only 110 Power?
I found an oven/ stove, it's gas. But the power supply which I think runs the clock and the little gas ignitors runs off 220 (Which I do not have) Should I just pass on this or is there an easy way to look into changing the oven or outlet?
Aug 19, 2013, 01:51 PM
Sparky617
How easy it would be to add a 220VAC circuit to your kitchen depends:

1. proximity to the electrical panel
2. capacity of the panel to handle an additional 220 VAC breaker, which generally requires two slots
3. access to the panel and area behind the range to run the new wires.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Aug 19, 2013, 01:52 PM
CommonwealthSparky
Short of rewiring a 240v circuit to power the oven, there is not easy way to energize the appliance.
The oven would run off of the 240v supply, as well as the controls.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...
Aug 19, 2013, 01:53 PM
CommonwealthSparky
Hey you bet me to the answer. Big Grin

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...
Aug 19, 2013, 02:47 PM
swschrad
simple answer: pass. there are gas ranges that have 120 volt controls.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
Aug 19, 2013, 02:59 PM
AlwaysAvocado
Thanks guys, it's a house from 52' and has older wiring to begin with. I already have a load of projects, I'll probably just pass and wait to find a standard oven with 110.... Thanks for the help, appreciate it!