All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    sub panel help
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

sub panel help Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have a 50 amp sub panel hooked to my main panel. My question is can I run wire from my sub panel out to my garage to another panel? If so what amp should it be and would I need a grounding poll? Thanks

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        the code allows up to 6 breakers in a row. so that alone will probably not get you in the hoosegow. it's better for the future and explaining it to all the little kiddies coming up if the subs are all fed out of the main panel.

random multiple grounds from Hell are another matter. there is supposed to be one main entrance/building ground system, and that is to be tied together at the neutral/ground bar in the entrance panel. thence out to your opposite-corner house grounds. not a good idea to drive another ground rod for the subpanel.

your other questions suggest you would be well advised to hire an electrician, but for reference... you need to pull two hots (phase 1 and 2), a neutral, and a ground. neutral and ground NEVER attach to the same bus in a subpanel, neutral must be isolated off the metal and ground bolted straight to the steel. so you need a kit for that. 50 ampacity cable should be either #8 or #6 depending on run length. the back of a wire box has the data.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5849 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        Calling an electrician may be your best bet here.
        Not enough information as to why you need to or want add a sub after a sub. Why do you think you need to do this?

Not sure about swchrad and his reply about about six breakers in a row. Truth be told I have no idea what that even means. May need a NEC listing to clarify that. Never heard of a opposite corner house ground set up. Need a NEC listing number to clarify that.

Plus the numbers listed for conductors and over current protection are incorrect as well. 50 amp breakers and #8 copper is not allowable.

Some sub panels need a ground rod and some do not. That depends on the number of circuits pulled to that sub. So it is impossible to make an accurate decision till that number is posted. So making a statement about random grounds really is no issue here either. Truth be told I have no idea what that means either.

Long story short you have presented to little information about the entire project and because of all the variables it is impossible to plan out a NEC approved cable run and panel set up.

List in detail what you presently have and what you would like to do. This would be a big help to plan out your work.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1578 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Same here. Frown

Posts: 1578 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Here we go again. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
        Wonder how this upgrade turned out.