All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    Confused by lack of/ box choices for vanity lighting
        Page 1 2 
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Confused by lack of/ box choices for vanity lighting Sign In/Join 
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        Basic outlet/switch single gang boxes are used for lighting applications all the time. Not my first option but still more than up to the job.
        So you think you cab learn the NEC residential code by reading a book? Well that and about 5 years of dealing with homeowners, code officials and other trades may get you in the door.
        If reading one book you can become a master electrician you would have never made the original post. You would have made the corrections needed to install the light and skipped all the griping. I run into people like you now and again. I set my pricing so high I miss out on the job or run to the bank with check in hand. Big Grin
        Hope all works out with your project, good luck.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1574 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        So how are people using these rectangular boxes then, that was what I was originally wondering about? I know there would be a learning curve but if the information is out there then anyone with the desire can learn it, like other disciplines. Just sad when a person hires a so called professional and you have outlets that don't even have wire connected, and they still don't work with the wires connected, sections of wall requiring outlets with no outlets etc. etc. it is BS. When I hear someone say "hire a professional" I just say yah right..

Posts: 9 | Registered: Sep 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I think communication is the answer, I am not trying to be a ***** on this forum I really appreciate all the info I have tapped into. I realize that not all electricians put out this type of work and that is good. I was presented with a rectangular off center box and a couple off center wires and because I am ignorant I asked the initial questions, not to offend but to learn. Thanks for all the info.

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by mizzfixit:

Just sad when a person hires a so called professional and you have outlets that don't even have wire connected, and they still don't work with the wires connected, sections of wall requiring outlets with no outlets etc. etc. it is BS. When I hear someone say "hire a professional" I just say yah right..

So what does the electrician who did the installation say about this, or has he not been contacted yet?

If not, what are the next steps you're taking to move forward and resolve the issue so you can get it done and it doesn't stress you any more?

Posts: 1964 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        So how are people using these rectangular boxes then, that was what I was originally wondering about?

I generally use them for junction boxes in the attic or crawlspace -- not for installing lights. But I haven't seen any picture of what rectangular box they installed, so I am guessing which ones. Might have been a junction box type or a double gang light switch or outlet box??????????? Or part of an outdoor weatherproof box.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Re-mdlr,

Posts: 990 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Re-mdlr:
        quote:
        So how are people using these rectangular boxes then, that was what I was originally wondering about?

I generally use them for junction boxes in the attic or crawlspace -- not for installing lights. But I haven't seen any picture of what rectangular box they installed, so I am guessing which ones. Might have been a junction box type or a double gang light switch or outlet box??????????? Or part of an outdoor weatherproof box.

We might be talking about octagon boxes, which at first glance looks square. Four square boxes while providing more space for box fill requirements also tend to add to the problems with the box ring extenders needed. But also are just as helpful as long as you can track down the properly sized ring. Whew!

Posts: 1574 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        I think communication is the answer, I am not trying to be a ***** on this forum I really appreciate all the info I have tapped into. I realize that not all electricians put out this type of work and that is good. I was presented with a rectangular off center box and a couple off center wires and because I am ignorant I asked the initial questions, not to offend but to learn. Thanks for all the info.

Hope all works out for your project. A few posters on board will ask for a photo or a link to be posted and that would have helped in speedy fashion. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
        Will do with the photo, it was just a standard plastic one switch outlet box, and then wires in other locations. I looked and said huh, I must be missing something so here I am. Did track the fellow down but he won't return my calls, I called before I found the dud receptacles. I have never met the fellow myself. My husband says they got along fine, he didn't piss him off or anything so not sure why someone would do that? or why he would not both working to code? thanks again

Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        I have said it time and time again....when i contractor says he is finished, and sticks his hand out for payment. it is YOUR responabilty to walk the job. ask questions. double ck everything that has been done. if your smart, you would have put in the contract, a 20% 30 day hold out, till your satisifed. a lot of subs will balk at this, but if there on the up and up, wont hurt a bit

post pictures of what you have, sparky will look at it, he a fair guy

Posts: 4089 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        I think you can move past the query as to why it was done as it was and address the issue of correcting or resolving it. If the contractor doesn't return your calls, you're not going to find out the "why".

If you feel the work wasn't to code, have you contacted the electrical inspector for your community? Have you contacted the licensing and registration department of your state to make a complaint?

Posts: 1964 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        i am not sure, no pictures to verify
        but you might have a splice/junction box in the attic
        if his wire was to short. he may have made a junction in the attic. as long as its acessable and is all in a box its legal. you have to ask the resident sparky..he can tell you fo sho..post a picture

Posts: 4089 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Will do with the photo, it was just a standard plastic one switch outlet box, and then wires in other locations. I looked and said huh, I must be missing something so here I am. Did track the fellow down but he won't return my calls, I called before I found the dud receptacles. I have never met the fellow myself. My husband says they got along fine, he didn't piss him off or anything so not sure why someone would do that? or why he would not both working to code? thanks again

Sorry to hear about the "electrician" i.e. in actuality sounds like a handyman not willing to correct his mistakes. Those instances give all craftsman & tradesmen a black eye. Heck we all have corrections to redo in life but actually doing those in a timely fashion keeps a person in business.
        BBBs are a joke in my opinion so methinks a call to them is a waste of your time. Another electrician is also an option, but then you are basically paying twice for the work. How fair is that?

posted Hide Post
        I ended up using the round plastic work box with wings where the wires were over the vanity, looks okay. Now I have the rectangular plastic box to deal with ... to replace it with the round one will leave me with too big a hole and not sound wall for the wings to tighten against so..... you all say this is no big deal so ....when you are buying lights for this type of box what are you looking for? none of the lights I have ever bought would fit this set up .. I know there are lighting stores out there but how do you know when you buy one online (only option right now) and then if your box is off center how are you centering it above the vanity? thanks again .. i hope Smile