DIY Message Boards
Confused by lack of/ box choices for vanity lighting

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4691013504/m/8623900477

Sep 27, 2013, 04:10 PM
CommonwealthSparky
Confused by lack of/ box choices for vanity lighting
Basic outlet/switch single gang boxes are used for lighting applications all the time. Not my first option but still more than up to the job.
So you think you cab learn the NEC residential code by reading a book? Well that and about 5 years of dealing with homeowners, code officials and other trades may get you in the door.
If reading one book you can become a master electrician you would have never made the original post. You would have made the corrections needed to install the light and skipped all the griping. I run into people like you now and again. I set my pricing so high I miss out on the job or run to the bank with check in hand. Big Grin
Hope all works out with your project, good luck.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,


Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...
Sep 27, 2013, 06:56 PM
mizzfixit
So how are people using these rectangular boxes then, that was what I was originally wondering about? I know there would be a learning curve but if the information is out there then anyone with the desire can learn it, like other disciplines. Just sad when a person hires a so called professional and you have outlets that don't even have wire connected, and they still don't work with the wires connected, sections of wall requiring outlets with no outlets etc. etc. it is BS. When I hear someone say "hire a professional" I just say yah right..
Sep 27, 2013, 07:50 PM
Frodo
quote:
Originally posted by Sparky617:
quote:
Originally posted by Frodo:
an electrician just aint smart enough to put that lil ole wire in the right spot..!!! LOL
seriously....its common pratice
just kidden sparky.....


Frodo,
I know you're poking fun, but with the wide variety of light fixtures out there the likelihood of the electrician meeting Mizzfixit's placement are probably 33% at best. When we built our house we had to pick all the fixtures out before the rough in. In current house I have above the mirror fixtures, though not lightbars. In my first house I installed a pair of wall fixtures beside the mirror. Both of those options have many examples available today.

Had I wired my own house I would have certainly done things differently. Instead of one outlet that is mounted directly in the middle of my bed I would have installed an outlet that didn't fall behind the bed on both sides, with the top switched and the bottom always on. Seems intuitive to me, lights switched, alarm clock not switched. He did get the switched part right but the outlet is extremely difficult to reach behind the headboard. I'd also always wire an outlet right by the door to plug in a vacuum cleaner.

One woman I knew complained that her electrician wired her chandelier right in the middle of her dining room. Didn't he know she'd have a hutch on the one end so it should have been off center? Well in my house in addition to the hutch we have a sideboard, so I guess he should have wired it off center in two dimensions. Had he done that and we didn't have the hutch and sideboard the fixture would be off. Without specific direction the electrician is going to locate the box for a dining room chandelier right in the middle of the room, less risk of screwing it up.

yes i am poking fun..weird humor i have..
oh the perils of custom homes. thats why...
in the plumbing biz
i request...no, i demand that fixtures are picked out before contract is signed. then i have the supply house, furnish "cut sheets" of the fixtures before we take possession of the fixtures. so the guys know what measurement to install the water and drain...IF, the owner changes there mind. we try and work with them. but. if the water or drain have to move..its a back charge. documented and billed BEFORE the work is completed
for us to cut a wall, to move plumbing. it not only impacts our work. but the, carpenter, sheet rocker, painter, and any other trade that my have to move to acomadate. on track homes...the measurements are pretty much the same every cabbage patch house you go to
my house,,i roughed wired it and i got the ceiling fan off center...in the master..but you can bet your last buck, my urinal is dead on..outdoor faucets all four corners of the house. and a drinking fountain in the garage....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,


https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E
Sep 27, 2013, 09:01 PM
mizzfixit
I think communication is the answer, I am not trying to be a ***** on this forum I really appreciate all the info I have tapped into. I realize that not all electricians put out this type of work and that is good. I was presented with a rectangular off center box and a couple off center wires and because I am ignorant I asked the initial questions, not to offend but to learn. Thanks for all the info.
Sep 27, 2013, 09:03 PM
GardenSprite
quote:
Originally posted by mizzfixit:

Just sad when a person hires a so called professional and you have outlets that don't even have wire connected, and they still don't work with the wires connected, sections of wall requiring outlets with no outlets etc. etc. it is BS. When I hear someone say "hire a professional" I just say yah right..


So what does the electrician who did the installation say about this, or has he not been contacted yet?

If not, what are the next steps you're taking to move forward and resolve the issue so you can get it done and it doesn't stress you any more?
Sep 27, 2013, 10:24 PM
Re-mdlr
quote:
Originally posted by mizzfixit:
So how are people using these rectangular boxes then, that was what I was originally wondering about?


I generally use them for junction boxes in the attic or crawlspace -- not for installing lights. But I haven't seen any picture of what rectangular box they installed, so I am guessing which ones. Might have been a junction box type or a double gang light switch or outlet box??????????? Or part of an outdoor weatherproof box.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Re-mdlr,
Sep 28, 2013, 08:39 AM
CommonwealthSparky
quote:
Originally posted by Re-mdlr:
quote:
Originally posted by mizzfixit:
So how are people using these rectangular boxes then, that was what I was originally wondering about?


I generally use them for junction boxes in the attic or crawlspace -- not for installing lights. But I haven't seen any picture of what rectangular box they installed, so I am guessing which ones. Might have been a junction box type or a double gang light switch or outlet box??????????? Or part of an outdoor weatherproof box.


We might be talking about octagon boxes, which at first glance looks square. Four square boxes while providing more space for box fill requirements also tend to add to the problems with the box ring extenders needed. But also are just as helpful as long as you can track down the properly sized ring. Whew!


Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...
Sep 28, 2013, 08:44 AM
CommonwealthSparky
quote:
Originally posted by mizzfixit:
I think communication is the answer, I am not trying to be a ***** on this forum I really appreciate all the info I have tapped into. I realize that not all electricians put out this type of work and that is good. I was presented with a rectangular off center box and a couple off center wires and because I am ignorant I asked the initial questions, not to offend but to learn. Thanks for all the info.


Hope all works out for your project. A few posters on board will ask for a photo or a link to be posted and that would have helped in speedy fashion. Big Grin


Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...
Sep 28, 2013, 09:58 AM
mizzfixit
Will do with the photo, it was just a standard plastic one switch outlet box, and then wires in other locations. I looked and said huh, I must be missing something so here I am. Did track the fellow down but he won't return my calls, I called before I found the dud receptacles. I have never met the fellow myself. My husband says they got along fine, he didn't piss him off or anything so not sure why someone would do that? or why he would not both working to code? thanks again
Sep 28, 2013, 01:34 PM
Frodo
I have said it time and time again....when i contractor says he is finished, and sticks his hand out for payment. it is YOUR responabilty to walk the job. ask questions. double ck everything that has been done. if your smart, you would have put in the contract, a 20% 30 day hold out, till your satisifed. a lot of subs will balk at this, but if there on the up and up, wont hurt a bit

post pictures of what you have, sparky will look at it, he a fair guy


https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E
Sep 28, 2013, 11:08 PM
GardenSprite
I think you can move past the query as to why it was done as it was and address the issue of correcting or resolving it. If the contractor doesn't return your calls, you're not going to find out the "why".

If you feel the work wasn't to code, have you contacted the electrical inspector for your community? Have you contacted the licensing and registration department of your state to make a complaint?
Sep 29, 2013, 02:36 AM
Frodo
i am not sure, no pictures to verify
but you might have a splice/junction box in the attic
if his wire was to short. he may have made a junction in the attic. as long as its acessable and is all in a box its legal. you have to ask the resident sparky..he can tell you fo sho..post a picture


https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E
Sep 29, 2013, 09:52 AM
CommonwealthSparky
quote:
Originally posted by mizzfixit:
Will do with the photo, it was just a standard plastic one switch outlet box, and then wires in other locations. I looked and said huh, I must be missing something so here I am. Did track the fellow down but he won't return my calls, I called before I found the dud receptacles. I have never met the fellow myself. My husband says they got along fine, he didn't piss him off or anything so not sure why someone would do that? or why he would not both working to code? thanks again


Sorry to hear about the "electrician" i.e. in actuality sounds like a handyman not willing to correct his mistakes. Those instances give all craftsman & tradesmen a black eye. Heck we all have corrections to redo in life but actually doing those in a timely fashion keeps a person in business.
BBBs are a joke in my opinion so methinks a call to them is a waste of your time. Another electrician is also an option, but then you are basically paying twice for the work. How fair is that?


Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...
Dec 04, 2013, 12:33 PM
mizzfixit
I ended up using the round plastic work box with wings where the wires were over the vanity, looks okay. Now I have the rectangular plastic box to deal with ... to replace it with the round one will leave me with too big a hole and not sound wall for the wings to tighten against so..... you all say this is no big deal so ....when you are buying lights for this type of box what are you looking for? none of the lights I have ever bought would fit this set up .. I know there are lighting stores out there but how do you know when you buy one online (only option right now) and then if your box is off center how are you centering it above the vanity? thanks again .. i hope Smile