All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    Circuit Repair Question
        Page 1 2 
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Circuit Repair Question Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hi All,

Here's the scenario. While painting around an outlet in my bedroom, the lights went out. I assumed I shorted the outlet with the wet brush to the metal box and caused the breaker to trip. The breaker did NOT trip so I flipped the breaker off then on and still no power. I went as far as to replace the breaker with a new one assuming it was faulty, still no power to the circuit. The entire circuit is out and I checked every connection I could find throughout the circuit including those inside the breaker panel.
        My conclusion is that there was a weakened part of the wire that came apart due to the short i made on the outlet box (is this even possible??). I have learned that prior to my owning of the house they seem to have had an issue with rats (I've found old poison boxes in the attic and in a crawl space).
        My plan and ultimately my question:
        I plan on disconnecting the line from the breaker (for the non working curcuit) and adding a new line from the breaker to feed another outlet on the circuit, hopefully feeding the rest of the circuit as well.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Does this sound logical? Should it work?

I can't tell where the line goes first from the breaker. It is a room that was added as an extension on the house many years ago. Is there a typical place where the incoming power goes to first? Like the light maybe?

Thank you
        Wow that's a lot of questions! Any help and or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jan 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        i'll bet you a balogna sandwich that the problem is in the outlet you were painting around
        ck for a loose wire connection or loosde wire nut

Posts: 4057 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Frodo:
        i'll bet you a balogna sandwich that the problem is in the outlet you were painting around
        ck for a loose wire connection or loosde wire nut

Loves me some balogna!
        It's an outlet at the end of a line so to speak. It's just an add-on from another outlet. I checked both that outlet and the one it's from and they're good. In fact I checked every connection in all of the outlets (twice) in the circuit and they're all good.

posted Hide Post
        I don't see that the outlet itself was replaced, that's worth a try. if that fails, I would just run a new Romex to the last point ahead of the dead one.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5820 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by swschrad:
        I don't see that the outlet itself was replaced, that's worth a try. if that fails, I would just run a new Romex to the last point ahead of the dead one.

I did not change the outlet...worth the $0.38 investment. I will try it. And if it fixes the problem, I will need frodos address for which to forward the balogna sammich!
        Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chris7234,

Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        you need a voodoo priestess then, cause you got haints
        put some of your hair in a sock, bury it under the front porch
        hop up and down on one foot 3 times, and run around to the back door
        do this while listening to the beatles song the walrus
        good luck

Posts: 4057 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Frodo:
        you need a voodoo priestess then, cause you got haints
        put some of your hair in a sock, bury it under the front porch
        hop up and down on one foot 3 times, and run around to the back door
        do this while listening to the beatles song the walrus
        good luck

Not familiar with "haints" is that an STD? and I don't have a front porch!! ARGH!!! Smile

posted Hide Post
        Looked up haints on the interwebs...what forum do I go to to get an "young preist and an old priest"?

Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        go to new orleans on burbon street...look for a young/old african/jamican
        voodoo priestese [priestest is a female priest]
        a haint is a spirit/ghost/ presence
        http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=haint

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

posted Hide Post
        hopefully the open air fruit stands on the edge of the French Quarter are still open to midnight-ish, get a little something to help you make it through your prowl of the quaint establishments. = hic =

Posts: 5820 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        A couple of things to check before going on Frodo's ghost hunt.

1. While unlikely, it is possible that this outlet is pulling power from a GFCI protected circuit. Look around for any GFCI outlets (They will have two small buttons in the middle, one for test and one for reset and will most likely be in a bath or kitchen). If you find any, push the 'R' button.

2. It is very possible that the short you caused made a wire burn or pop at another outlet downstream. This could have been a already kinked wire or a loose connection at another outlet. Hard to find but look for any small, telltale burn marks beside an outlet and/or a burn smell. Start looking at outlets in the same room or on opposite sides of interior walls. Next step is to remove cover plates to those same suspect outlets and see if you can see any loose wires.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jaybee,

Jaybee

Posts: 10424 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        Resetting the breaker is a lottery odds type of reach to solve your problem. But I too thing the problem is that outlet as others on board mentioned.

Spam, bump truth be told....

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1535 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        The more I think about it the more I think Jaybee's first suggestion may be on target. It may be that the power was pulled from a circuit from another room that is GFCI protected: possibly a bathroom, basement, or kitchen. If you haven't already, go to those rooms (or other likely rooms) and look at an outlet as he described that is not working. If none of that works you might be able to figure out where the power is coming from by going into the attic, crawl space, and/or basement.

Posts: 1004 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Sep 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Hi Guys,
        Okay, problem solved ...sort of. Through much troubleshooting I have determined that there is a break in the line somewhere between two outlets. It's not at either outlet but somewhere in between, within the walls somewhere or maybe in the crawl space. I temporarily ran a new line from the breaker panel to one of the outlets, thus feeding the rest of the curcuit. I need to get into the crawl space and find/fix the break.
        Thanks for all the help. I'll update when I progress further.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chris7234,

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        That is highly unusual - I would have put my money on the bad spot being at an outlet. Hopefully you will find a junction box or another outlet in the crawl space. If it is a break in a wire within the wall then it's almost certain to have been caused by a nail or screw. That would be very bad as it makes a fire hazard.

Don't overlook outlets in other rooms - especially on the other side of the common wall.

Jaybee

Posts: 10424 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        You know, come to think of it, there is another outlet I've yet to check on an adjacent wall. It is a gfci and I did check it to make sure its not tripped but never took it out to check the connections.

What about "chew through" from a rodent? That's possible too, no?

posted Hide Post
        Yes, rats will gnaw on Romex like there is no tomorrow. If that be the case, armor cable is a wise investment. And not a difficult product to work with either.

Posts: 1535 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        vermin will chew through romex, or other wire, if it's not hot. If there's current in it, the vermin are going to get the surprise of their very short life. a metal conduit or armored cable is a good idea though

Posts: 2572 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by nona:
        vermin will chew through romex, or other wire, if it's not hot. If there's current in it, the vermin are going to get the surprise of their very short life. a metal conduit or armored cable is a good idea though

Luckily not many rats carry a multi meter or chirper in these parts. Yes they do get fried at times, guessing too much amperage and those silly Ohm's Law factors and all that. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,

posted Hide Post
        the StructureTech inspectors in the twin cities have a newspaper blog, and one of their better photos was a roasted rat that came up an open knockout in the entrance panel, crawled over the ground buss on the bottom of the panel, and bit on one of the phase bars powering the breakers.