All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    can you make one
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

can you make one Sign In/Join 
        Picture of Frodo
        posted
        can you make a generator transfer switch
        instead of buying one? is it a simple matter?

Posts: 3885 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        To be safe and legal, the switch needs to be able to be an either/or type - in that if thrown in one direction it is channeling power from the main supply and in the other it is channeling power from the generator. It must be set up so there can be no backfeed.

So you need to buy the switch. I can't imagine any way to make one that will be better and/or cheaper.

Jaybee

Posts: 10363 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        to buy one is 300.00 thats why i was checking into making one...i'm cheap

Posts: 3885 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        If the structure of the house makes it fairly easy (eg. on a crawl space) I would think about running an independent line not hooked in to the house electrical line. When I had a week end place I had planned to run a line with an outlet for the refrigerator, the living room, and the bedroom. But decided to sell it and build a year-round home.

Posts: 1004 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Sep 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I would think code would not only require a break-before-make SPDT switch, but the airgap between contact points would be either quenching or impossible to arc 600 volts ( usual insulation standard for power wiring .) say, contact point for source A on the left side, and for B on the right side. that kind of isolation.

the moosey manual/automatic transfer switches for commercial power busses come to mind. but they sure don't come to Papa at thousands of bucks each.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5780 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by jdr:
        If the structure of the house makes it fairly easy (eg. on a crawl space) I would think about running an independent line not hooked in to the house electrical line. When I had a week end place I had planned to run a line with an outlet for the refrigerator, the living room, and the bedroom. But decided to sell it and build a year-round home.

thats done,,,heatunit, fridge, lights in bedr/livingrm are on dedicated circuits..right now, i simply unhook breaker and wire nut in pigtail to gen.
        5 minutes easy work
        being lazy,and cheap...i want to flick a switch Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
        Twist-Locs? how illegal would it be to put Twist-Loc receptacles on the lines (or on a subpanel to the lines you want to back up) and transfer the SO type cable between the main panel's receptacle and the one to the generator? anybody? sparkies?

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5780 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        Frodo, thanks for the link.
        Watched a video or two on this product. While you could make one from idle parts on the work bench exactly what specs are you building this device to?
        Question number two relates to UL listing of this product. I would think the manufacturer of this product submitted it for safety testing. As installing this device if not tested is downright dangerous and raises insurance issues. As in fire insurance coverage for installing untested electrical products. By making this device in your laboratory raises these issues.
        That is the first two questions that come to mind. Could YOU assemble one on your own? Certainly so. The $300.00 price tag you mention seems like about twice as much as I would ever think about spending for this device, as devices are presently on the market that provide more circuitry options are not much further out of reach.

All in all a very interesting product. Big Grin
        E-Bay maybe, always worth a peak....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1453 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Jaybee:
        To be safe and legal, the switch needs to be able to be an either/or type - in that if thrown in one direction it is channeling power from the main supply and in the other it is channeling power from the generator. It must be set up so there can be no backfeed.

So you need to buy the switch. I can't imagine any way to make one that will be better and/or cheaper.

Agree. As in my other post I'm thinking this device would not pass an UL inspection process if it allows backfeeding that is incredibly dangerous to linemen working to restore power during outages.
        Build one on your work bench, exactly how do you meet this demand?

Posts: 1453 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        its almost like a check valve for electricty
        heck,,guess i will just keep pulling breakers, and hooking up pig tails

posted Hide Post
        I may visit this guys website today. The problem with product that most see is its limited use. As Frodo posted needing heat, icebox, a light or two and entertainment rules out this product.
        While this may well be a great product, $300.00 is way too pricie for my needs.
        Snow and cold here today, heck it is January. To us its just another normal winter day, to CNN its the end of civilization as we know it.... Wink