All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    I have a mysterious electrical issue and need help
        Page 1 2 
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

I have a mysterious electrical issue and need help Sign In/Join 
        posted
        My problem is my bedroom/bathroom is wired to the same breaker but sometimes the bathroom fan/lights doesnt work. The breaker never trips and nothing is ever out in the bedroom. What could be causing this?

Posts: 8 | Registered: Oct 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        Poorly made up connection near or somewhere after your bedroom wiring, faulty switch or poorly made up connection in the bathroom switch location, or poorly made up connection in the fan/light unit. Those ideas come to mind after a first read. Others on board will think of others as well. Trouble shooting is always a process of elimination. Good luck.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1450 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Could also be a GFCI outlet on the bathroom end ot things. Of course, for this to have been the problem then somebody has to be hitting the 'R' button on the GFCI outlet to reset it.

Jaybee

Posts: 10342 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        That too !!! Big Grin Throw that sage advice into the trouble shooting bin as well. Good luck.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        The thing is the wiring is not new. It is in a 1999 mobile home. The fan and light is seperate. I checked for loose wiring in the switches. It was ok. The gfci is ok! Im confident that I can troubleshoot it im just not exactly sure how.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: harleynut05883,

posted Hide Post
        Something amiss in the fan/light combo itself, but not the main wiring connections?

posted Hide Post
        Its not a fan/light combo. There is 2 light switches. One is for the fan the other is for the lights. I have 2 lights in there. 1 is over the sink and the other is close to the toilet.

posted Hide Post
        I'm thinking inside the switch box that maybe you have one black wire feeding power coming in, and it goes into a wire nut that has two pigtails coming off (which means a short wire, one to each switch). So that the wire nut has 3 wires (probably black).

You say you checked for loose wires in the switches -- but how about in a wire nut that feeds the switches? If the power wire is not making good contact, you will have the problems you describe.

But I'm sitting here at my desk, no photos to look at. But it's simple to check (probably best with the power off).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Re-mdlr,

Posts: 961 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Certainly on to something there, Re-mdlr. I would venture a guess you have nailed it, but with trouble shooting that may be 99% the culprit. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
        I checked the wire nut and all the wires are tite inside of it!

posted Hide Post
        Sounds improbable but bad switches?

posted Hide Post
        I changed 1 of the switches and it didnt help. I plan on changing the other one today and see what happens!

posted Hide Post
        How about the wire nut holding all the white wires?? A bad connection there could be the problem also. There are lots of times when I'll grab a wire nut to pull out a set of wires and 'pop', a wire comes popping out because it wasn't properly connected.

Posts: 961 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Ok replaced both switches and checked the wire nut for loose wires. Still not fixed!

posted Hide Post
        Are you confident in your abilities to use a voltage meter to check for proper voltage at the fixtures ? If that is a yes give it a try. May tell us something for sure.

posted Hide Post
        Last month, I too faced this kind of problem with my bathroom connection. Actually, It will be happening with the connection. I think, At the time of construction, Proper wiring installation is not done. With that, I faced a continuous problem. Then with the suggestion of my friend, I consulted one of the well experienced electrician and solved my problem. Make sure to get the quick solution for these kind of electrical issues whenever we can face in any kind of situation.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Nov 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Really poor Spam? Big Grin

posted Hide Post
        the house has been wired since 1999.It is a mobile home. I checked for voltage at the receptacles I got nothing at one of them. Im not sure where the power feed going to it comes from. I figured it was fed from another receptacle but the one I thought fed it has power coming in and out of it. I have no loose wires anywhere. The only thing I couldn't check was the exhaust fan wiring.

posted Hide Post
        You say you got nothing at one of the receptacles -- you wouldn't happen to have a light switch that seems to do nothing would you -- if so, that light switch might operate that receptacle (or half of it, so check both plugs)

posted Hide Post
        The 2 switches in the bathroom dont work. The receptacle that doesnt work is in the bedroom. Im not getting power in either plug. I was thinking power came in at the bedroom switch, went down the wall to a receptacle(that is working) and crossed the wall to the one thats not getting power. Am I wrong?