All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    New Lutron Timer Switch won't work
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

New Lutron Timer Switch won't work Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I just purchased this for my bathroom fan

http://www.lowes.com/pd_316176...__?productId=3613820

I cannot turn the fan on using the timer. As a matter of fact, the timer LED lights don't turn on at all like there is no electricity.

Here was what I did:

1. I check the feed line into the switch and there was electricity. So I cannot blame the wiring

2. I use another wire to run directly between the two black wires (see photo #3) and the fan turns on when I touch them together. That means the fan works!!

3. Now the last thinking I have is that this fan may not be compatible with my new switch. I read online and they said the switch works with fan >0.3amp. I took the picture of this fan (made by Mercury which probably doesn't exist any more) in photo #1. You can see it said ".7 AMP" on the label. I am not sure if I am reading it correctly or not.

Is there anything else I should check before I call support, or return this switch or buy new fan?

I like the switch though. Very nicely design.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: quanghoc,

Posts: 284 | Location: United States | Registered: Dec 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        Does the switch have a setting that overrides the settings of the device? As in manually turn the fan on & off. Or even a line voltage and load voltage set screw location? Meaning the incoming power supply must be on one certain screw. And the switch leg must be on the other.
        PS, Tidy up those connections present as they look rather poorly made up. If it is just temporary then I apologize and stand corrected. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1589 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I'm a fan (no pun intended)of the Lutron Maestro switches. But I have not installed this unit, and it doesn't say it is a Maestro. So here's my guess. Remove the cover if it hasn't been, look for a little slide switch on the outskirts of the white portion. Yes, it's small. It could be the switch Sparky said to look for.
        Also, it looks to me like the red wire cap can be removed and connect the wire direct to the switch.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Re-mdlr,

They make it look so easy on tv, don't they

Posts: 1003 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        And I'll add this: Your white jumper certainly indicates that the switch itself is not working. While it is possible for a new switch to be defective a sad but true fact is that some people will fry a switch (or other electrical component) then put it back in it's carton and return it. I've found that if an electrical part at a home store is in a package that has been taped back together that there is a pretty high chance that the item is no good.

Meaning that one of your easier trouble-shooting methods would be to get another switch and see if it works.

Jaybee

Posts: 10500 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        @Sparky and? @Re-mdlr: are you talking about checking the FASS switch? It has a little "tab" on the bottom. The only time the whole switch is nonoperational is when the tab is pushed and the OFF bar is showed (like photo).

Posts: 284 | Location: United States | Registered: Dec 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        From Lutron: All Lutron dimmers have an air-gap off. Typically this is integrated into a slider or paddle switch. Some dimmers have electronics that stay active when the lights are off, such as an infrared receiver. For these products, the air gap is activated by a separate Front Accessible Service Switch (FASS). When open, the FASS completely disconnects the power to the load. This ensures that there is no leakage current to the fixture during routine lamp maintenance. In addition, when the FASS is open, no remote locations (3-way, etc.) can re-energize the circuit.

I know when I've installed the Maestro switches, they have a little tab that slides to shut off the switch. So slide it, pull it, push it, try it, see what happens.

They make it look so easy on tv, don't they

Posts: 1003 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        So I replaced with a new switch and it works. I wonder if somehow I fried the previous one!? Is it even possible... LOL

posted Hide Post
        Good to hear about things working well know. I doubt if you fried the first device, but with electronics packed into these new fangled devices it too is possible. Lets just say it is that one out of a hundred that made it out of the factory defective.

As Jaybee posted the best practice while shopping is to never be the consumer that picks up that taped up package. Let the store eat that one at all costs. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,

Posts: 1589 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        As Jaybee posted the best practice while shopping is to never be the consumer that picks up that taped up package

Oh yeah I avoided these like plague (unless they have 60% discount and I could return it .. lol)

I will leave it there few more days to see if the darn thing gonna continue to work or not. Crossing finger.

posted Hide Post
        Me as well. I will make the purchase if as when shopping at the local Ace store because one is the magic inventory number at a small store. I too mention to the clerk present about the taped package and its possible return if defective. Usually all is well though.