All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    Swap bath fan timer to on/off switch
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Swap bath fan timer to on/off switch Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have bath fan timer switch in photo and it ran out too fast (like 5min max). I want to change to longer timer or on/off switch.

Do these timers have standard and compatible? Which type of "modern" timer should I replace with?

Posts: 284 | Location: United States | Registered: Dec 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        Can not recommend any one manufacturer but a fan timer is a fan timer. Guessing that newest devices on the market will provide settings that boggle the mind.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1589 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        I have installed similar looking Mechanical switch timers in the past and added one to a bathroom very recently. They vary as to the maximum time. You can normally start them any point after (the turn past) point, and don't need to run it the whole cycle.

The ones we have are all 15 minute max timers like yours, but they also sell 30 minute to an hour from the same manufacturer. There are bound to be more modern/electronic timer switches too, but we have found these to be easy and fairly goof proof.

To add:
        The latest one I recently installed was in our retirement home (where I had three switches in a row). I had purchased a very nice agate looking stone wall plate, so I just never installed the base plate with the numbers on it. It is in our master bath, and we are very familiar with the operation of it, so having just the dial exposed was not a problem. I like the look much better too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Conrad,

Posts: 6894 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I was looking for an electronic count-down timer, but everything I found several years ago was listed for incandescent only. so at this point, the mechanical timer would be the way to go. I even replaced the 3-way switches to the outside lights with a pair, because you can't see whether they are on from inside, and we ended up with bulbs burning for days, eating up the electric bill.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5864 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of SturdyNail
        posted Hide Post
        We have a timer on our bathroom fan that has a set of presets on it; 10, 20, 30 minutes plus a press-and-hold for constant on. It works great for us. I put it on constant on while in the shower, then, when I get out, I change it to twenty minutes to give the fan enough time to clear the room. It fits in a standard junction box. We bought it at Lowes or Home Depot.

Previously, we had a fan with a humidity sensor on it, but we could never get the sensitivity right. The switch with the presets has worked out much better.

Posts: 357 | Location: Western NewYork | Registered: Jan 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        So my question is: is the wiring behind these timer / switch the same? Are they swappable??

Posts: 284 | Location: United States | Registered: Dec 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Yes, the wiring is the same. The timer is just a mechanical switch, there should be a hot in and a line out and a ground connections. You should be able to do a direct replacement with either a new timer switch or a regular switch.

Jaybee

Posts: 10498 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of SturdyNail
        posted Hide Post
        The switch I installed is made by Intermatic. They make a wide variety. This is the one I installed; http://www.intermatic.com/Prod...0_Series/EI210W.aspx

Posts: 357 | Location: Western NewYork | Registered: Jan 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Got it. Thanks!

Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        Yea, the mods do a fine job. Gone gone gone.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1589 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post