All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    a/c wiring help needed
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

a/c wiring help needed Sign In/Join 
        posted
        As the summer heat approaches, I am need of help figuring out what needs to be done to connect my a/c to cool the home. The a/c is a window mount type, and from what I can tell, has a 230/30A plug (see pictures). The home has an outside plug that is a 125/250V 50 Amp plug (see picture).. My question is how do I convert the a/c plug to work with the outside socket? I am most likely not going to do this myself, as I know very little about wiring... but I do want to know what needs to be done so that I can understand the process, and that I can insure whoever does do it, does it correctly. I am also wondering an approximate cost based on the number of hours it takes to do this. The circuit breaker box has a 125/250V 50 Amp breaker. Any help appreciated!!!! Sorry.. Pics not working!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: monsterboy,

a/c note

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Can not see anything but a red square in the picture.

joecaption

Posts: 18032 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        might as well not have a breaker, hooking a 30 amp device to a 50 amp breaker. the clamps inside the plug probably won't even hold the wire, it's too small.

you can change the breaker to 30 amp, reuse the feed line, and change the outside plug to a properly rated one. that will have to be in a weather-rated "in use" box, and these days probably with a GFI.

this is an hour for an electrician, perhaps $60-100 in parts above whatever labor rates are extant in your area. figure on $200 as a rough price.

that was probably a spa power drop.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5790 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post