All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    What to do when electrical wiring is not long enough
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

What to do when electrical wiring is not long enough Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I am trying to move my light fixture in my bathroom over about a foot to the center of the wall. After removing the fixture and taking the junction box out, I can see that the wire is not long enough to move over. Does anyone have any idea what my options are with out having to call in an electrician?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Nov 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        What's up above?? If it's accessible, maybe the wire can be pulled up into the attic, add a junction box, and add a piece of wire long enough to do the job.

Or maybe there is a wire fastener that can be removed which will then allow the wire to go the distance you need.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Re-mdlr,

Posts: 984 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I have very little space to work with without removing a large amount of drywall which I do not want to do, so I cannot see a fastner. I will go into the attic and see what my options are. Thanks for responding!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Nov 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        The deal is that you either have a continuous, unbroken wire or you have an accessible junction box where you can splice on more wire to make it longer. Easy enough if you have attic space above but if not, then adding an extra foot of wire becomes a huge project. Basically you will need to trace the wire back to a location where you can cut into it, add a junction box and add on a longer length of wire. If you must go this route, you will be better off getting an electrician in to do this more complicated process.

The only easy solution will be4 to leave your existing ceiling box in place and use it as a junction box. You can splice onto the end of the existing wire with an extra piece that is long enough to get to the new location. Down side is that you will need to cover the old junction box with a removable cap to meet code.

Jaybee

Posts: 10452 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        we had to do that twice in DeBasement, ceiling is white and you don't notice the white PVC cover plates.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5832 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Adding a wire is a good idea about it however you need to be very careful and use electric tape in order to avoid some failure.In Finland country i mostly handle a fuse or kahvasulake and being careful on every electrician work is always a very important factors not only to avoid grounds but avoid flame that can cause you if your electric stuff failed.

Posts: 11 | Location: Philippines | Registered: Sep 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Maybe it's just me, but wouldn't it just be a lot easier all around to post something like, "Hey, I'm a spammer - here's a link for you to click on"?

Jaybee

Posts: 10452 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        But at least a spammer has me beat when I try and post a response and my ADT kicks in.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1550 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I believe the spammer is telling us to use electrical tape to span the gap instead of wire??

in this country, you use hard wire nuts after twisting the wires of a splice, and it is a good idea afterwards to tape over the buutt end of the wire nut over the wire to insure it doesn't come off.

doesn't change the fact that where you join wires, you do it inside an accessible listed wiring junction box. with a deadfront plate if it's only a junction box. always.

Posts: 5832 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Most do tape wire nuts but if you pre twist the copper and then twist on the wire nut you are a more exacting person than I. Quit the Scotch 33 taping years ago and saved a bundle.
        Not quite sure what the spammer is suggesting. But yes he or she missed many a code requirement.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,

Posts: 1550 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        heh, I have had too many wires jump out of wire nuts in my callow youth to NOT twist the ends. the wrapover of 33+ insures me if I ever go back in that I did it, for better or worse.

posted Hide Post
        True, Scotch 33 is an inexpensive form of piece of mind. Well worth it.