All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    Dehumidifier doesn't
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Dehumidifier doesn't Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Our basement dehumidifier (a Kenmore 33, old but not used much until recently) was doing a good job . The other day, I discovered a pool of water beneath it, with the water bin only 10% full. I tested the bin, and it does not leak. I neglected to check carefully to see where the water was coming from. Now, the coils frost up after a short period, and frost over completely, with very little water collecting in the bin. I checked the fan, and it works. Does this combination of symptoms point to any problem in particular? (The basement is about room temperature, the humidity was down to 45%, and is now up to 52%.)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Posts: 29 | Location: Hamilton, Ontario | Registered: Apr 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        I'd give it a good cleaning and if that doesn't perk it up, shop around for a new dehumidifier. Some have filters, some just have a grill/coil system. If either gets dirty it will impact how well it works.

That said, over time they just don't work as well as they should. Not sure if they have any kind of sealed coil that can leak, but I've seen many older dehumidifiers that either just stop working completely or do not work well.

We have 5 dehumidifiers running in one of our projects right now to dry it out from a water leak. One is an older unit belonging to our homeowner and the others are fairly new ones of ours. Sitting side by side, our units generate many times the water of the old dehumidifier. Everything is working on it, but it just doesn't work well.

Other than cleaning, there is not much servicing you can do to them.

Jaybee

Posts: 10499 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Here is a good article on the subject. I'd agree with Jaybee that it is dirty leading to poor airflow or it is in too cold of a space. Unless it is specifically designed to operate below 65-70F and the humidity is high they will ice up.

http://www.appliance411.com/fa...difierfrosting.shtml

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 899 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        more than likely, the refrigerant level is low. Unless there is a way to refill it, the dehumidifier is toast. considering that it is old it probably has Freon as a refrigerant and that becomes a problem for disposal. maybe some air conditioning company will either refill it or take it off your hands

Posts: 2593 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        If you do have to junk it, perhaps your local electrical utility company offers incentives to turn in old appliances. Ours does; it's not much ($40 for a refrigerator), but it's an opportunity to get a few bucks for an old appliance.

Posts: 1978 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I have a rule of thumb... if it uses a 2-digit refrigerant, and it's not working, and it didn't cost $4000 to install, junk it with a reputable recycler. a recharge attempt will cost more than a new unit, and the saddle valve they have to install is going to leak. period. no question.

it's old enough that it's outlived its design life in any event. operating costs will be double those of a new unit in power used alone. it will be ugly and heavier than anything comparable.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5864 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks very much for those replies. They're very informative.

Posts: 29 | Location: Hamilton, Ontario | Registered: Apr 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        who installed the unit? is it conected to hot water or cold water?
        cold will not work

when was the last time the screen [filter] was cleaned ?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

Posts: 4089 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        sounds like this is a portable packaged unit. hacked small a/c

Posts: 5864 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        It looks to be that we will replace it. Is any brand better than another?

Thanks again.

posted Hide Post
        more significant than which distributor got it from China is whether the dehumidifier is a "low temp" model. you are using it in a basement, and nowadays there are two calibrations used in manufacturing. a low temp unit in the basement is going to work much better than any dehumidifier that is standard range.

posted Hide Post
        Low temp...... well, the basement usually is 65-70F. in winter, and about 350F. in summer.

posted Hide Post
        your typical basement, in an inhabited house, due to the earth moderating effect, will be 50-55 degrees year around. junk windows, air leaks, wrong adjustment of the HVAC duct flow will warp that. at those temps, modern dehumidifiers work poorly. a low-temp unit will work.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

posted Hide Post
        Frodo,
        It is a dehumidifer, not a humidifier. Dehumidifiers don't get connected to a water supply, they pull it out of the air.

Agree low refrigerant is a possible cause if it is clean and in a warm enough space. If the freon is low, it's toast. Junk it and get a new one.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 899 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I ran across this thread, which is focused on Canadian models, but Canadian appliance models are usually the same as U.S. models but with a slightly different model #. It's a tad scary.

Tens of thousands of dehumidifiers recalled in Canada after reports of fires
        http://forums.redflagdeals.com...ports-fires-1382553/

Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        dang,,,i have found in a few appliances that i have...the pigtail
        where it connects to the actual appliance. on china chit
        is where the short happens..this is my own observations.of stuff i canabalise when it breaks
        i'm a bit of a tinkerer, if it breaks, i wanna know why.
        and if it can be fixed
        id say 95% of the shorted out stuff i take apart from china, can be fixed with a 10 cent wire nut
        take it apart and look at it

Posts: 4089 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post