All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    T3 halogen bulb won't work
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

T3 halogen bulb won't work Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have outdoor lighting on my home that uses T3, 150 watt halogen bulbs. One of the lights wasn't working so I bought a new T3 bulb and installed it. The new bulb won't work. I've had this issue in the past with a portable shop light and ended up buying a new shop light.
        Am I doing something wrong when changing out the old bulb for a new one?
        Thanks

Posts: 20 | Registered: Dec 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        It's possible that you have a bad bulb that is new out of the box - it happens especially with the T3 style.

It could also be burned contacts in your light fixture.

Or, further down the line, some other wiring issue that is keeping power from getting to the light.

Easiest troubleshooting method is to try another bulb first and go from there.

Jaybee

Posts: 10477 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        the low-end Chinese bulbs are not supported well enough, and the filament can break during shipping and handling. a good GE or Sylvania bulb has more internal supports and is less likely to be no good from the start.

I've bumped a $6 special small work light and watched horrified as the filament sagged and melted through the bulb. never seen it with good bulbs.

I have known one to explode even with proper installation once. on a studio 2000 watt broad light, blew molten quartz onto an anchorman's forehead. the fixture was operating for 5 hours before the bulb went. usually with the 500 watters in my portable lights, I started them facing the floor and if they came on and nothing let the magic smoke out, would then direct them on the subject.

at the studio, all the lighting was scrimmed before the 6 am news the next morning. never blew another bulb, of course.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5849 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I tried another bulb, same result.

I have a total of 3 sets of outside lights around the house (2 lights per set). I have 1 light out in 2 of the 3 sets and have replaced the 2 burned out bulbs. The 2nd light in each set still works but the replacement bulbs are not. So, this tells me the wiring is ok and maybe the contacts on the in-op lights need attention. Could it be that the contacts are coated and a light file will create a good contact?

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        It could be that the contacts on the light do not fit into the contact point of the replacement bulbs. Here too, some bulbs are slightly different and the ends may not be shaped exactly the same.

From what I've seen, it's more likely that the contacts do not fit due to some burning on the contact ends. One small chunk of carbon residue is enough to insulate and keep it from making contact. If you see any kind of burning on the lamp contact ends, a few passes with some fine sandpaper can clean it off.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jaybee,

Jaybee

Posts: 10477 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Jaybee,
        I'll give that a try next.
        Thanks