All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    Push button as light switch?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Push button as light switch? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hello, new to this site. I got this old push button switch from work, and I installed it as a light switch. Problem is, when I took the old switch out, there was only one wire(one black, one white)? I thought there were supposed to be two?

Anyway, it works fine, but the ones at work light up when you press them. Looking at the back, it appears you have to wire the light it self for it to work. Can this be done without just bypassing the switch? I was thinking of running two jumpers from were the wires are on the switch, up to the light, but would that make the switch useless?

Any ideas?
        [img]http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/3065/74566988.png[/img]

Thanks,
        Nate.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Probably going to be more trouble than it's worth.

Sounds like you have a hot and a switch leg inside the switch box. Probably set up as a down and back fro the fixture. Your power is run into the box for the fixture, the hot is split off to run down to the switch and back. All that is perfectly normal.

But, without a neutral line inside the switch box you will not be able to get the lighted part of the switch to work. This requires a full circuit, all you have is an interrupted hot line.

Jaybee

Posts: 10126 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Oh, cool.

Thanks for the reply.
        Nate.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        one possibility... you may control a ton 'o' lights at work with a NEMA motor controller. one button kicks it into "on" position, and one button kicks it into "off" position. they are usually toggled with separate on and off buttons in one device, or potentially a momentary-contact switch device -- up, on, down, off -- which is usually in center position.

that button won't work for you without a $120 to $400 dollar motor controller unit and a lot, a LOT, of rewiring in that case.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5490 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post