All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    Deleting a wall switch/ Always hot outlets?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Deleting a wall switch/ Always hot outlets? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have a random light switch that functions 2 wall outlets in my living room. The switch is on a wall we took down and I have no need for the switch, I'd like these 2 wall outlets always hot. The wall switch has two sets of wires going into it. 2 blacks and 2 whites. Easy to cap off and avoid using it? Maybe not the easiest thing to explain without someone seeing, but if you have any advice it would be amazing.

Posts: 47 | Registered: Jun 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        The white wires should already be tied together. Of the black wires, one is hot and one goes to the outlets. If the two blacks wires are joined then the switch has been eliminated from the circuit and the outlets will always be hot.

Jaybee

Posts: 10099 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Wow that was easy. Thanks! The whites were already wired together, I connected the blacks, turned the power back on and the outlets work great. The whites were just twisted together and electrical taped, which is what I also did (temporarily) just roll up the extra slack on the wire and put it in a storage box in the attic?

Posts: 47 | Registered: Jun 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        The wall that housed the switch has been removed correct? If so a metal junction box has to located in an accessible location. This is the box where you made up the new connections will be placed in. Please pre-twist those wires before twisting on wire nuts. {Even though wire nut box instructions will tell you otherwise}. It will save headaches later trust me. Some wiremen will tape the wire nuts as well. To me that is just a waste of Scotch 33 electrical tape. But that is up to you. The junction box location will either be in the cellar or above in the attic perhaps. You can even Sharpie the breaker number on the junction box cover plate for future reference.
        I am not sure what your reference to extra wire means. You can trim back the extra wire present to tidy up you work.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1391 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post