All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    fixing an extension cord
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

fixing an extension cord Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hello to all,

Thought I would not do this again, but I did. The extension cord was cut by the electric hedge trimmer.

I fixed it where it was cut by resplicing the 3 wires. However, I just do not like it. Since it was cut about 2-3ft from the plug, is there a way to re-attach at the plug that will both work well and be safe? It is the std orange 50ft cord.

If I cannot re-attach to the current plug, can I buy one that will work?

Thank you very much,
        tstex

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tstex,

Posts: 361 | Registered: Jun 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Just buy a replacement three prong plug. The screws will be color coded, black wire to the brass screw, white to the silver screw and green wire to the black or green screw.
        Here is a typical replacement plug that is of good quality.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_155261...l%2Bplugs&facetInfo=

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 847 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thx Sparky...I have seen those plugs before.

My current cord is the light 16ga. I am sure this plug will work, but do you know if this plug will also work for 14ga & 12ga cords too? All with 3 wires.

Thank you,
        tstex

posted Hide Post
        Yes it will work with those wires as well.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 847 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thank you Sir - done deal.

Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        Will be fine as Sparky617 has posted. Have done the same around the abode, just never drag out to the jobsite as then it becomes a violation in the eyes of OSHA Big Grin .

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1535 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by CommonwealthSparky:
        Will be fine as Sparky617 has posted. Have done the same around the abode, just never drag out to the jobsite as then it becomes a violation in the eyes of OSHA Big Grin .

good point.

General Disclaimer

posted Hide Post
        Years ago when I was employed by a millwork the bosses always kept an eye on expenses. And extension cord purchases topped the list. Being located in a cold winter climate cords were needed to heat the engine blocks of all the Mack trucks there. And many a driver leaving out at 5:00 AM would forget to unplug the engine block. Cords were chewed up and repaired on a daily basis.
        It was a blast to watch the guy run around and hide those same cords when insurance agents and OSHA flunkies did unannounced walk arounds. Well that is what I'm told, as being somewhat high on the corporate food chain, I was that guy.
        Back to the OP, those cords should be just fine in the home. A look see in my Pass & Seymour catalog just boggles the mind with the choice's on the market.

Posts: 1535 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Good follow-up story.

With the cords all being made in china anyway, what is the problem with a replacement plug? Is it the possible labor flaw, not being done by an electrician possibly, or other?

I would assume the replacmment plugs are made in china too, so we are back to sq one with labor or a possible point of failure?

posted Hide Post
        There isn't a problem with the replacement plugs for a home cord. For commercial applications OSHA wants only factory made cords.

Cut off your damaged part, wire it the way I advised above and you'll be fine.

General Disclaimer

posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by tstex:
        Good follow-up story.

With the cords all being made in china anyway, what is the problem with a replacement plug? Is it the possible labor flaw, not being done by an electrician possibly, or other?

I would assume the replacmment plugs are made in china too, so we are back to sq one with labor or a possible point of failure?

I always assumed that OSHA thought replacement plugs made an inferior connection rife with safety hazards. But I never ask any of those fellows, even though they seemed nice for being mindless humorless droids. Big Grin
        Hope I did not confuse the issue but as others have posted replacement plugs are fine in home use. They will still be in use long after we are out of here.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,

posted Hide Post
        ... and if you need a splashproof connector on the cord, as required in hospitals for floor maintenance equipment extentions, just how does OSHA judge "yes" on one page and "no" on the other? if you never saw one, they have a rubber ring on the socket side that grips a same-series plug end you install on the buffer. these are not availiable ready made.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5818 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        has osha changed there rules...used to be 1 splice was permited on a cord, it had to be heat shrinkerd
        and we color coded our cords every mth..thats how we covered the splices..he he he

Posts: 4054 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Could be a regional interlocutory decision on the part of the OSHA inspector would be my guess.
        Those we dealt with always yanked a cord, somehow that black Scotch 33 tape on orange cords really caught their squinty beady eyes. Then out came the pens and note pads. But that was back in the day, before laptops, wrist radios worn by **** Tracy and time travel.
        PS Don't get me started on rolling stock ladders with defects. Razz

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,