All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    Subpanel question
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Subpanel question Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I'd like to add a subpanel to an interior space in my home approximately 35 feet from the main panel. Can the plans below be reviewed to ensure I'm doing this in the correct way? Here are my plans.

[LIST]
        Add a 100 amp subpanel to an interior space in my home

Add a 90 amp breaker to the main to feed the panel

Run 2-2-2-4 mobile home wire (aluminum) from the main to the sub

Wire enclosed in 1-1/4" pvc conduit run along the rafters in the basement

Remove the green screw in the sub

Any suggestions or additional insights would be welcomed. Thanks!

Posts: 26 | Registered: Mar 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        So nobody can help with this?

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post

Posts: 10483 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks for nothing but that's not at all helpful. This is a DIY board!

Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        OK here is a suggestion. Call a professional. Wink
        Electrical work can and does kill those not qualified. Listing what you feel comfortable doing would have been paramount to receiving an answer.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1583 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Here's another one... unless you have something valuable to contribute, I for one, would rather that you didn't. You absolutely have no idea about the qualifications or experience level of someone posting a relatively simple and straightforward question. Because you feel entitled, don't pollute the board with your self-serving and snarky comments.

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Let's see... you posted the same post twice, asking:

"Can the plans below be reviewed to ensure I'm doing this in the correct way?"

You received answers, one advising you to check with your local code department and the other cautioning against making repairs that should be done by a qualified pro.

One of the purposes of a DIY Forum IS to separate the DIY work from work that should be done by a pro.

You have your answers, yet are still not satisfied, and challenge two regular and knowledgeable posters, the last of which received a totally unwarranted snide and sarcastic response.

And you expect advice from people here?

Have you even contacted your local code department?

You need to rethink your approach and your attitude.

BTW, anyone see any resemblance to a now banned Mikem poster? I.e., ask questions, challenge the answers, insult the responders.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1966 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        you have answers from a general contractor and a licensed electrician above, along with one from a home DIYer. you got your money's worth.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5858 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by daveinrichmond:
        Here's another one... unless you have something valuable to contribute, I for one, would rather that you didn't. You absolutely have no idea about the qualifications or experience level of someone posting a relatively simple and straightforward question. Because you feel entitled, don't pollute the board with your self-serving and snarky comments.

You are correct. I have no idea about qualifications or experience level of someone posting. Safety is paramount while performing electrical work. This is why I ask. In so far as posting a relatively simple and straight forward question, your original post containing the term "mobile home wire" told me you had very little knowledge in the electrical field.
        A simple answer with a brief description in what you feel confident performing, I would have typed you through your correct set up.
        Alas, I will be keeping my snarky comments aimed directly at spammers the board fight on a daily basis.
        Wish you the best on your project. Wink .

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1583 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        first off, you're going to need a permit.Second when you apply for your permit, they are going to want to review your plans
        Why would you want to use aluminum wire, and remove a ground screw as well?
        But what do I know, I'm too dumb to jury rig stuff, if I need information I know where to go, this board helps, but If I have any doubts, I go to the building department. But, like I said, I'm kinda dumb

Posts: 2589 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        Wow. Amazing.
        Wonder if the Ask a Doctor sites get this type of issues when people want to perform their own brain surgery?
        If OP has an electrical fire and the insurer wants information on where the permits are, and what electrician installed the new sub panel and breaker...hope he is well self insured, as the insurance company just may opt to say, "no thanks on a claim".

Posts: 6894 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post