All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    Sizzling and Sparks Flying
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Sizzling and Sparks Flying Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I woke up this morning to the sound of sizzling next to my head and turned to see sparks flying up from the floor behind my night stand. The only cord back there was for a light that was turned off and my alarm clock. Yesterday my daughter got quite a shock from turning on my bedroom light. There was also a power director near the headboard, and the headboard was on top of the cord, but it was several inches away from where I saw the sparks. I'm wondering what could cause sparks like that? It was a horrible way to wake up!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        I have no expertise in this area but just wanted to share that I would call an electrician ASAP before anything worse happens. Sparks and a strong shock are pretty scary.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1898 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        TURN OFF THAT BREAKER and call an electrician. NOW

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5710 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        Turn off the circuit is the proper thing to do as stated. But it sounds like the stranded cord supplying the lamp has been crushed and damaged by that headboard. Please check that and replace if damaged.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1429 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post