All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    Ceiling fan light + Recessed lightning on two 3-way light switches
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Ceiling fan light + Recessed lightning on two 3-way light switches Sign In/Join 
        posted
        FACTS:
        Switch Box #1 - 3 speed fan control switch and 3 way light control
        Switch Box #2 - 3 way light control

Running for recessed lightning and fan/light

14-2 from breaker
        14-3 from switch box #1 to box #2
        14-3 out to recessed lighting

Now question:

How do I also get the fan light onto these 3-way light switches without powering on the fan so I basically turn on all the lights with one switch and still keep the fan control to only the fan control switch?

I am assuming run 14-3 from last recessed light to the fan and connect only red and blue wire on the fan?

Am I way off?

Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DeeEyeWhy,

Posts: 9 | Registered: Oct 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        you will need to connect separate feed lines to the black and blue wires (typically)... I think the blue is fan feed most of the time, and the black is lights. your fan instructions will tell you.

the white wire is common neutral return.

danger, warning, fattening, etc... you need to be sure those feed wires are from the same power bus. there are two 120 volt circuits in a house panel, and between them, there is 240 volts. it's a risky bet to assume both of your feeds are from the same bus. the best way to check is with a voltmeter on a 250 or 500 volt scale, use clip leads to hook one probe to one "hot" wire, the other probe to the other "hot" wire.

if the voltmeter doesn't read 0 or close to it, you have to split the white in the junction box of the fan and run another up, separating the light and fan wiring completely. (( it is possible if one feed is longer than the other, that there could be a phantom voltage of a few volts between two wires going to the same bus. it depends on what other loads are live. typically this does not matter. a 240 volt reading, now that matters big time.))

this is really important, so if you can't work it out, you may need to have a pro make the hookups. as in "I don't want any fires" important.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5820 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        The 14/2 from breaker, and the 14/3 out to recessed lights, do they go to one of the switch boxes, which one or ones?

Are they fluorescent recessed lights?

Posts: 977 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by swschrad:
        you will need to connect separate feed lines to the black and blue wires (typically)... I think the blue is fan feed most of the time, and the black is lights. your fan instructions will tell you.

the white wire is common neutral return.

danger, warning, fattening, etc... you need to be sure those feed wires are from the same power bus. there are two 120 volt circuits in a house panel, and between them, there is 240 volts. it's a risky bet to assume both of your feeds are from the same bus. the best way to check is with a voltmeter on a 250 or 500 volt scale, use clip leads to hook one probe to one "hot" wire, the other probe to the other "hot" wire.

if the voltmeter doesn't read 0 or close to it, you have to split the white in the junction box of the fan and run another up, separating the light and fan wiring completely. (( it is possible if one feed is longer than the other, that there could be a phantom voltage of a few volts between two wires going to the same bus. it depends on what other loads are live. typically this does not matter. a 240 volt reading, now that matters big time.))

this is really important, so if you can't work it out, you may need to have a pro make the hookups. as in "I don't want any fires" important.

Swschrad

I am only running one 20 amp line from my breaker box. Hope I didn't confuse you.

This line will run to switch box #1 14-3 will run from switch box 1 to switch box 2 which will be on the other side of the room.

14-3 from switch box 2 out to my recessed lighting and hopefully the fan light.

To answer the other question I don't have the recessed lightning yet I am hoping for CFL recessed bulbs though and the fan lighting is cfl.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Oct 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Here's how to wire it, turn off power first.

14/2 from breaker to box 1, pigtail two black wires to the incoming power black wire, one pigtail attaches to the odd color nut on the 3 way light switch, the other black pigtail to one side of the fan speed switch, at box 1 run a 14/2 up to the ceiling fan, the black of this new 14/2 gets connected to the remaining side of the fan speed switch, all whites together. all grounds together. The other end of the new wire, the black wire gets connected to the fan wire (probably black fan wire but check your instructions).

Box 1 -- the 14/3 from box to box - the black and red go to the other 2 screws on the 3 way light switch (which wire color to which screw does not matter), all whites together, all grounds together.

Box 2 -- use 14/2 to go up to the fan -- the black wire (of the wire going to the fan) connects to the odd color screw on the 3 way light switch. The black and red wire of the 14/3 from the other box connect to the other two screws (doesn't matter which one to which screw on both those switches). The black wire going to the fan, at the fan, that black connects to the lighting wire of the ceiling fan (probably blue wire, but check your instructions).

Add a wire from the ceiling fan to the other recessed lights. The black of that wire will connect inside the ceiling fan box to the probably blue lighting wire and the other black wire from box 2.

Use a proper ceiling fan box, don't use a 'pancake' box, and use proper connectors anytime you put wire through a metal box hole. You'll have a few wires up there, no doubt.

All whites connect together in the boxes and ceiling fan box, all grounds connect together the same

This is how I would do it, (actually, I'd consider putting the recessed lights on a different switch, but it's your house, not mine) others may have a different set up.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Re-mdlr,

Posts: 977 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post