All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    Help please! What kind of electrical wire?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Help please! What kind of electrical wire? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hi, we are installing electrical wire for a dryer, I know it needs 220, the house is 100 amp breakers, what kind of wire do I purchase? I am asking because lowes has wire - 50ft roll for under $20. It is 14-2 non-metallic wire,says it is for using
        Designed for use in residential applications such as outlets, switches, and ceiling fans
        To be placed where space is available and free of excess moisture and dampness
        May be used for both exposed and concealed work in normally dry locations
        Is this what I want?

Posts: 222 | Location: Bellwood, PA | Registered: Oct 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        By the questions your asking I strongly suggest you hire a real electrician on this one.
        Highly unlikely you have 100 amp. "breakers". You may have one 100 amp. main breaker, but no more then that.
        14-2 wire is for a 15 amp. circuit a dryer uses more like 30 amp. that 14 gauge wire would melt the first time you used it.

joecaption

Posts: 18032 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by xsil11:
        It is 14-2 non-metallic wire,says it is for using
        Designed for use in residential applications such as outlets, switches, and ceiling fans

I notice it doesn't say "use for dryers" in their list --that's because it isn't used for dryers.

10/3 plus ground is typically used for dryers in conjunction with a 30 amp breaker -- but you need to get someone knowledgeable to help you with this project, and look at your breaker box. Assuming you want to see your next birthday. Razz

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Re-mdlr,

Posts: 977 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Please listen carefully - You do not screw around with electricity. It will win and you will lose 100% of the time.

No offense meant here, just being factual - From your questions it is obvious that you do not have very much electrical knowledge. You are talking about installing a 220v electrical line. There is no way to do this without getting inside your main breaker box. Offhand, I can think of about five or six ways that doing this can easily kill you.

Please find an electrician to do this project. If you can, watch and learn. But don't try this yourself.

Jaybee

Posts: 10425 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        Actually a question a big box employee could have answered methinks. Wonder though if that person could relay the most important advice needed here. Good to see fellow board members doing so. Wink

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1535 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        thank you everyone, yes I am planning on hiring someone who does know electricity installation. I know absolutely nothing about it..Obviously!! I was never planning on trying it myself..I do want to see my next birthday..Sorry, about that..No offense taken Jaybee. I was just wondering what type of wire I needed, and I think that has been answered..he did already take a look at the breaker box, to make sure there was room to install another breaker. And yes Joecaption, I was wrong in stating what I did, see? I know nothing about electricity! But I am smart enough to get someone who does..thanks again everyone!! Appreciate it!

Posts: 222 | Location: Bellwood, PA | Registered: Oct 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I am thinking, this is what I want..is this correct?
        Qty.:
        50-ft 10-3 Indoor Non-Metallic Wire (By-the-Roll)

Non-metallic sheathed cable
        Residential fixtures, switches and loads
        Rated for at least 90 C
        Thanks again for all your help! Smile

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by xsil11:
        I am thinking, this is what I want..is this correct?
        Qty.:
        50-ft 10-3 Indoor Non-Metallic Wire (By-the-Roll)

Non-metallic sheathed cable
        Residential fixtures, switches and loads
        Rated for at least 90 C
        Thanks again for all your help! Smile

Now you're talking!

For some confirmation and some instant electrical wire schoolin' go to the electrical department of most Lowe's stores. The Lowe's around here have a sample board set up in the wiring area. They have small samples of available wire with voltage and amperage ratings for each.

While the specs can vary depending on how far the wire run is, it's a good place to start.

Jaybee

Posts: 10425 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        Just wondering aloud why the homeowner is making the materials list and doing the purchasing. Thinking the electrician being hired adds to the bill, maybe. Please remember that buying from a supply house that contractors get better pricing.
        Good to see the homeowners knows the importance of qualified tradesmen. Wink

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1535 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        if you call a pro to do this, there is a very strong possibility they have all the wire and stuff on the truck already. a common task.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5820 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks again everyone!! Appreciate all your help! It's great to know that you people care! Smile