All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    ^*&$%(&#(&$ Hard-wired smoke alarms
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

^*&$%(&#(&$ Hard-wired smoke alarms Sign In/Join 
        posted
        In 2010, we had to install hardwired smoke alarms in all the bedrooms and in the hall. We are so tired of random alarms for no apparent reason. This morning at 3:30, they went off AGAIN. It is so difficult to tell which one is the issue. Fortunately, hubby unplugged the first one and the alarm stopped.
        Are there any good, reliable brands out there that have fewer false alarms? I'd gladly pay more to have something that is reliable and doesn't destroy my sleep!

Posts: 2497 | Registered: Apr 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Was it that actual alarm noise going off or the incessant beeping of a dead back-up battery?

The only 'problem' I've come across is dust collection inside the unit. Blowing each smoke alarm out with air usually clears things up. Other than that, a dead battery in any unit can make all of them beep.

Jaybee

Posts: 10452 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        No, it was a full blown alarm. We live in AZ and dust happens. I'll bet in the 3 years we have had 15 episodes of full blown alarms. I do understand the chirping.

Why did our battery ones never do this? We we good about testing them and changing batteries.

Posts: 2497 | Registered: Apr 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        There are two types of smoke detectors on the market. Ionization and photoelectric, so I'm wondering if one is more sensitive in your part of the country.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1552 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        heat and ionization detectors... not a happy match. they catch quick hot fires best, so if you worry about Arson Aaron and his Blanketers, that's what you buy.

for the commoner smoky slow starting fires from a short or a blown appliance or the cat chewing lamp cords, you want a photoelectric detector.

in either case, vacuuming the case during the annual battery replacement is a good thing.

unless the inspector comes around with an armed posse and demands common-alarm wired detectors in our story-with-basement house, I'm not doing them. both CO and smoke detectors by each bedroom area, and battery replacements annually or if we get chirping earlier is fine with me.

in any event, life from manufacture is 7 years for CO detectors and 10 years for smoke detectors, so I also write the install year on the front with a Sharpie.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5832 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        Most if not all detectors will have a manufacturing date stamped in the device, if that helps anyone. And it will start an intermittent chirp after a set amount of years. Thus reminding you that it is replacement time.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1552 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        You should look for fire alarm system on this site – http://www.controlfiresystems.com/. I had a similar problem as you and went through different suggestions. First, I tried to repair the old devices, but it didn't help. Only after I've changed the entire alarm system the problem was solved. So, look through the offers, hope you'll find the right solution for your house.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Apr 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post