All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    Installing new bath vent fan and light.
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Installing new bath vent fan and light. Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I just installed a new vent fan/light combo. To get power to the unit I spliced into the cable running from the existing light switch to the existing vanity light. The 2-wire cable runs from the switch through the attic to the light. I cut the wire in the attic, installed a junction box and spliced in a new length of cable to the new fan and light. Black to black, white to white and ground to ground with jumper grounded to junction box. The cable into the fan/light is connected per manufacturer (Hunter) instructions. When I turn the light switch on the old vanity light comes on but not the new fan and light. When the switch is off the old light goes out but the fan motor comes on, I haven't added the light since I obviously have something wrong here. It appears that the power runs from a GFI outlet adjacent to the light, through the light fixture and to the switch. Any ideas as to what may be wrong?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        Wonder how it turned out ? {Bumping down the SPAM}.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1392 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post