All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    We bought a dehumidifier to save the basement from mould
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

We bought a dehumidifier to save the basement from mould Sign In/Join 
        posted
        It's a De’Longhi 50PE, rated 115~60, 4.7amps. The manual says not to use an extension cord: is that written in stone, so to speak? I have a couple of decent extension cords (block heater, another heavier one) and the wall-plug locations in the basement are not convenient. Using a then foot extension would make life easier, but i don't want to do anything silly.

Thanks for anty advice.

Posts: 29 | Location: Hamilton, Ontario | Registered: Apr 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        At only 4.7 amps, hard to see where a properly sized extension cord would be a problem. Could be just a liability thing where they are covering themselves just in case somebody uses a light gauge extension cord that can't handle 4.7 amps.

Jaybee

Posts: 10479 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        it's the lawyers. any good grade 18/3 or 16/3 cord will handle it without heating up.

anything heats up lawyers. their job is to say, "we certainly do not recommend it..."

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5849 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks very much for those answers. That makes things much easier.

I have a home-made cable one of my clients made. (He was an electronics guy on coastal patrol aircraft.) It's about 20 feet long, and is printed: PHILLIPS 16 AWG 3 CONDR PYTHON TYPE S 600 VOLTS. The plugs (in and out) are are sort of little plastic boxes labelled HOSPITAL GRADE. It looks like it's serious, and when I look up those numbers, it seems to handle 13 amps. It may be 25 years old, but probably didn't get used much.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: razorboy,

Posts: 29 | Location: Hamilton, Ontario | Registered: Apr 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I would make sure the cord is weather / waterproof and keep the plugs elevated off the floor

Posts: 2584 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post