DIY Message Boards
transfer switch for generator

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4691013504/m/6083940377

Aug 15, 2013, 06:39 AM
mcfangz
transfer switch for generator
my electrican had set up a circuit for my old oil boiler on the transfer switch. I just had a new gas boiler installed and the plumber can not find the circuit. hope this isn't a silly question, but does the generator have to be running for that circuit to be "hot"? thanx, mcfangz
Aug 15, 2013, 08:21 AM
Jaybee
Any part of the circuit that is powered by the generator will require the gen to run to be 'hot'. If you ran the old unit from regular power (without using the generator) then somewhere there is a power supply that should be hot all the time.

Jaybee
Aug 15, 2013, 10:05 AM
CommonwealthSparky
I agree with Jaybee. Somewhere in the load center\transfer switch panels lies the wiring circuit. Plumbers are great at what they do. But more often than not know little about current NEC wiring practices. But odd one can not trace a circuit, fairly basic stuff there. But I am not there and anything is about possible, that is for sure.
The incoming power from your electrical provider would have to interrupted {storm damage} for the back up supply to turn on and energize the circuit. Other wise it is always hot from your original power source.
I am assuming that he needed to de-energize the circuit to wire the burner, correct?

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...
Aug 15, 2013, 04:33 PM
mcfangz
shouldn't the circuit be hot all of the time and when the generator kicks up it will stay on for the duration of no power?
Aug 15, 2013, 05:06 PM
CommonwealthSparky
Yes it should be "hot" all the time. During most situations power will be supplied by the load center. But during outages the generator will be supplying the power.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...