All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    Light up address sign
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Light up address sign Sign In/Join 
        posted
        A friend of mine has a light-up address plate above the garage door that won't light.
        The bulbs have been changed.
        The wires connected to the transformer are secured.
        I checked the transformer with a volt meter (I think that's what it's called). I'm not good with electricity but I checked a transformer on my furnace with the meter and got the needle to move with various settings. So using those same settings, I got the needle to move similarly on the address transformer. The transformer is hooked into a electric box where the garage door opener is also attached and there are no problems with it.
        She lives in a townhouse subdivision and the other address plates seem to have an electric eye because they only go on at night. I took the address box apart to install the new bulbs but saw no "eye."
        Sorry this is so long but I'm trying to give as much info as possible.

Posts: 161 | Registered: Dec 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        First thing to do is to figure out what you are reading on your meter. maybe find someone who is familiar with them?

A townhouse style subdivision would be very likely for all units to have the same exterior lighting. So, if the others are on a photocell for nightime operation only then hers is likely to be this way too.

Things to check:

1. Are you getting 110v ac power to the transformer?

2. Are you getting dc voltage out of the transformer?

3. Does the bulb work?

4. Is there a photocell and does it work.

Any of the components - bulb, photocell or transformer are likely to go bad after a few years.

Jaybee

Posts: 10289 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks for all the suggestions Jaybee. I told the owner to call the association to see where the photocell is located. It seems like a no-brainer that the cell would be located in the light fixture itself but I checked and it wasn't there.

Posts: 161 | Registered: Dec 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        if you have voltage from the transformer that is the same as the bulbs, then there is an open in the circuit... loose wire nut, bad bases for the bulbs, two bad spares, etc.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5706 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        I'm with Jaybee, thinking the photocell conked out. Could be wrong but that is where I would start.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1428 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post