All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    wall outlet: ground wire connected to silver screw?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

wall outlet: ground wire connected to silver screw? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hi All,
        Moved into a new (to me) house recently; one of the outlets in the house is a 2-prong outlet, the rest are 3. I opened the cover plate of the 2-pronger, and saw 3 wires. A white wire connected to the silver screw (good), a black wire connected to the bronze screw (also good), and a ground wire connected to the other silver screw (!?). Why would someone do this? My first impulse was just to replace the 2-prong outlet with a standard 3-prong, and connect the ground wire to a green screw, where it belongs.
        But someone did this for a reason, right? Am I missing something?

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: Jan 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Could be that the reason was that they wanted to reuse a 2-prong outlet. Or it could be the reason that they didn't know what else to do.

Technically, the neutral and ground wires terminate at the same point in the main box, but tying them together at the out negates the ground factor. Since is looks like this one outlet is the odd one out from all the others, I would just determine that the ground is an actual ground wire and then replace the 2-prong with a three-prong outlet.

Jaybee

Posts: 10430 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks for the reply. How do I confirm that the ground wire is actually a ground wire?

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: Jan 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Jaybee:
        Could be that the reason was that they wanted to reuse a 2-prong outlet. Or it could be the reason that they didn't know what else to do.

Technically, the neutral and ground wires terminate at the same point in the main box, but tying them together at the out negates the ground factor. Since is looks like this one outlet is the odd one out from all the others, I would just determine that the ground is an actual ground wire and then replace the 2-prong with a three-prong outlet.

Or trick a lazy home inspection service maybe? Wink

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1535 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Thanks for the reply. How do I confirm that the ground wire is actually a ground wire?

If it is a bare wire it is a ground wire, but it may not be connected (grounded). If it is grounded you will get a reading of no resistance on your meter. If you are going to be doing a little electrical there is a device that can be plugged into an outlet. It will tell you if anything is wrong. The reading you would get if it is not connected is "open ground."

Posts: 1004 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Sep 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        If you have a meter, then you can read continuity between the suspected ground and a known ground wire. Or, if you do just go ahead and install a three-prong outlet, test it with a plug in outlet tester. The tester will show if it's an open ground or not.

Jaybee

Posts: 10430 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post