All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    Voltage too high for light sockets
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Voltage too high for light sockets Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I removed a non-load-bearing wall and all went well. Next I needed to relocate the light switches. All 3 switches were on dimmers and operating correctly. I rewired everything, but now face the problem that only 1 of my 3 lights is working properly. Two of them appear like they are getting too much voltage. They are WAY brighter than they were before and when I move the dimmer setting all the way down, the brightness is cut in half, but still quite bright.

When I tie the switch directly to the light wiring, it does not have any power and the switch does not work. Leaving one wire tied to the switch and the second wire spliced to a hot wire and a wire from the switch is what is causing it to be a super high voltage. I have also tried switching which of the two wires is connected to hot and directly to the switch. There is no difference. Both situations lead to a bulb dangerously bright and a dimmer that only dims halfway at best.

Any suggestions what I might have done wrong?

Thank you.
        -Steven Wolff

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        At this point, you really need an electrician or at least a handy-man with electrical experience to take a first-hand look at what is going on here. Trial and error connections is not a good way to troubleshoot.

This is going to sound harsh but I am just going to be factual here: You obviously do not know very much about electrical wiring - even to the point that what you are trying to describe is not accurate enough for anyone to trouble-shoot your problem via this forum. There are several different types of switches and lighting circuits that are all wired in different ways - from what you have described nobody here can give an accurate answer.

Please call in an electrician to sort this out. The chance of shock or a fire is not worth risking any other option.

Jaybee

Posts: 10094 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        Yes I agree get qualified electrician to sort out your problems. PS If you are back feeding a circuit you may or may not increase the voltage. And that sounds like your problem. Depending on what hot legs those feeds are from create lighting issues. But you surely will end up with switches that act like a Stooges Movie skit. Or depending on the wiring set up tripped breakers.
        Good luck.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1391 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        Back feeding meaning two hot circuits feeding one circuit that is. Not the back feeding the power grid that is possible say with solar power.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1391 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post