Ok; I have a 24 inch stove/range..that is gas..and electric/plug in for ignition; I hooked up a HEAVY duty extension cord,,for convienience..( Range cord only 5 feet; and ..is there ANY danger of electric sparks igniting the gas pipe? (Gas Pipe is completly sealed/by a professional...but My cords end up being BEHIND the range on the floor ( 12 foot extension all curled up. . any dangers? ( I unplugg from the wall when I don't use the range; thx advance. L in NYC
There shouldn't be an issue with sparks. If there is you have a bigger problem than just the gas which should be completely contained in the gas pipe until it is released by the controls on the oven and burned.
Why do you need an extension cord in the first place? If you don't need 12' of cord, I'd opt for something shorter than having a long cord coiled up all the time with power on it. Doubtful it would overheat given the load which on a 120V circuit for a gas range is pretty light, you're powering the electronic controls if it has them, a 40w light bulb in the oven and the electric starters for the burners and oven, not a huge load.
Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.
My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Your greatest chance to make a spark would be while you are unplugging the cord from the wall. I'd keep it plugged in 24/7.
You're using a temporary system as a permanent solution for your electrical problem - never the best path to take. However, all you are powering is the ignition circuit and maybe some indicator lights - all 110v so as long as your cord is sized heavy enough it's not going to cause you any problems.
As to sparks and a gas leak - the key here is there should not be a gas leak - which you have confirmed so there is no danger there either.
Sparky- A Very helpful person you are on this board-- thx; to explain further; I Have just 5 short feet of cord..that is VISIBLE and it barely reaches the outlet; it's an eyesore; So I have this OUTDOOR THICK extension cord with a LOCK on the middle; Gas line sealed tight, real tight. I'm partially going to 'bury the last part of extension cord under a WINDOW LEDGE that will be almost virtually INVISIBLE> * as I live in a studio co op in NYC and Cords are EYEsores for sure. The xtension cord is now wrapped in a circle, UNDERneathand beside the range in a small space; NOWHERE NEAR any heat. Thx for help..L in NYC
Thx Jaybee also;;;; I Understand , is a "Temporary solution...but.. One- I rarely cook..and Two; the gas lines sealed Absolutly cemented no leaks... I'll take your advice and KEEP plugged in 24/7.IT"S a THICK yellow OUTDOOR appliance /grade extension cord.....but..what you meant is:"? IF I unplug it WHILE the gas burner is on....then the nearness of the plug//and gas could spark?? thx
if you unplug it, then the ignitors, any electronic control panel, and lights will not work. it probably won't shut off the range burners. if there are any fancy features like delay cooking for the oven, those could be affected. but the oven thermostat itself is probably the old tried and true thermocouple-safety, thermocouple-temp gas control. call a repairman if you want to be sure and give them the model number and brand of the range.
your manual probably says a competent professional should have installed a 120 volt outlet in "this area" behind the range first.
sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.