All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    Short In The Ceiling Fan?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Short In The Ceiling Fan? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have at least one ceiling fan with lights in each room of my house. The one in the kitchen though goes through light bulbs like crazy. Is this a short in the fan assembly itself or the wiring?

Posts: 25 | Registered: May 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        could be vibration killing the bulbs. try rough service bulbs or LED bulbs.

if the fan isn't blowing up, it isn't overvoltage, which is certain to kill bulbs really fast after a very nice bright light.

"shorts" won't kill bulbs unless it's an internal short from vibration touching a small part of the filament together by the pigtails supplying power. a short is a diversion of unregulated power, always bad, should blow the breaker right off on a household circuit.

"opens" are a broken connection, no power.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5849 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Do you use the kitchen more than any other room in the house? This might be the simple answer.

In the room where I spend the most time, I've changed each of the bulbs in the ceiling fan at least twice and sometimes 3 times in the last few years, yet not at all for some of the other rooms.

Posts: 1964 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        They make bulbs designed for use in ceiling fans -- look on the box. The maker knows they will be subject to a lot of vibration. So it will be tagged as good for ceiling fan or rough use.

They make it look so easy on tv, don't they

Posts: 993 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        try using a CFL bulb, if you dislike the twisted tube, you can get them that look like a standard incandescent bulb and screws into a standard base. Vibration shouldn't affect them

Posts: 2584 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        But is the CFL bulb dimmable?? I'm a big fan of dimmers, for mood and energy savings

They make it look so easy on tv, don't they

Posts: 993 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I never thought of dimming, and really don't know. , but I think I saw somewhere that they make dimmable cfls and / or dimming switchs for cfls
        Maybe one of the pros can answer that

Posts: 2584 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I have the same problem with the lamps on a fan. The smallest vibration will fatique the filiments in the lamp and cause it to break. I tried the cfl's and they worked great, but the lady of the house didn't like the delay before it came fully on, so back to changing bulbs. I don't know how she's going to handle it when all the incandescent bulbs are phased out

Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        WalMart & GE have recently announced that they are going to discount LED bulb pricing at dramatic reductions. Hopefully they will also load all those shipping containers with CFL bulbs, shipping them anywhere but here. Big Grin
        100 watt incandescent bulbs have traveled the route of the pony express. Guessing 75 watt are next, correct?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1576 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post