All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    Outlet grounding question
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Outlet grounding question Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hello, I'm finishing my basement and am at the point where I am running the electric. I've run my wire and installed my boxes, and am now installing the outlets. I have a series of 5 outlets on a new circuit, using 12 gauge wire. My question is on grounding the outlets. At the first outlet, do I connect the ground wire comming in to the grounding screw on that outlet and then the ground for the wire going out to this wire (and repeat for the remaining outlets)? Or do I connect the in and out ground wires together and then run a pigtail to the grounding screw on the outlet? Any insight/answers are appreciated, thanks.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Jul 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        pigtails. it's a struggle getting a looped ground back in the box without shorting on either hot or neutral.

splicing is badly done by DIYers 100 percent of the time. you should lay all the wires together, grab a lineman pliers and twist clockwise through at least two turns into the insulation if any, then go back towards the tip and make sure all the wires are tightly twisted together. only then put the wire nut on. if you don't have good mechanical connection, sure as powers above made little green apples, putting the wire nut on will push at least one wire out. and it may not pop free until you have completed the job and wonder why you don't show two lights on the tester.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5768 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks for your response, and for the splicing tips!

Posts: 12 | Registered: Jul 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I like using the green grounding wire nut where you leave one wire a little longer and stick it out the top. click here for a pic

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Re-mdlr,

Posts: 961 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        There is also a small copper crimp ring that is easy to use. Slide it over the two ground wires so that it's 2" or more down, then crimp it and cut one of the excess ground wires. Now you have just one ground wire to wrap around the ground screw.

Jaybee

Posts: 10342 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post