All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Electrical    WHY is my Plug/Shorting-Out//Sparking? ! a Light here..
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

WHY is my Plug/Shorting-Out//Sparking? ! a Light here.. Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Ok; so I just rigged up a ceramic socket with a small halogen bulb glued on the inside of a cabinet; and there is my Belkin Power bar there; Everytime I plug in the plug(( Wired two/wires.. Simple!>... It SHORTS" OUT AND SPARKS and shuts off my fuse box@! what is the problem? socket bought @ electric store..DO I need some kind of transformer for SUCH A SIMPLE Lamp?? thanks n advance Larry NYC

Posts: 230 | Location: Chelsea, New York | Registered: Mar 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        you're lucky. a halogen bulb at 2000 degrees (quartz) glass temperature tight up under a cabinet without heat control would have started a fire.

as for the shorting, even one little wire whisker out of place and touching the other conductor should take down the breaker or fuse.

sounds like the kind of guy who could use LED rope lighting that has a plug already on the end under the cabinets for accent lighting. and it's in stock and ready to go at the home center.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5832 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I have installed 'puck' lights for countertops which did require a transformer. Call your local supplier, tell them what you purchased, and ask them.

Posts: 984 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        The situation is;; its' only a 60 watt glass halogen; same as I affixed at another cabinet in the apt/
        This one; the Plug short's out the system SOON as I plug in the plug- good strong wire...and Good thing is is
        that I have a power line vry close by...a DIMMER for the room- Can I actually dig a channel and access that wiring and
        have a guy wire up the simple lamp? is this small lamp needing a transformer..or not?? thx in advnc..Larry NYC

Posts: 230 | Location: Chelsea, New York | Registered: Mar 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        don't know what you have there. with ham radio questions, there is usually a commonly availiable schematic to look at on the web and say, "check mumblefutz glammer rammer dingdong and around tube Vwhatever." here, you need to post some nice close-up photos of the lamp and plug wiring. then we can see if there is a really simple issue.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5832 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thers' not an EASY way to Upload photos here; It never works; Just understand and don't make this a stupid'issue; it's vry important'' IT"S A SIMPLE Socket, with 60 wat glass halogen bulb; wire going to a PLUG: : WHEN I PLUG IT TO THE Wall, it shorts out; how can not anyone understand wht simple this is?? ANYHOO: MY elecr'ican figured it; THE SOCKET has a little metal' flap inside the socket; IT WAS POINTED UPWARD, NEEDED IT TO Be smashed down INTO the socket, (so it touches THE BOTTOME OF THE BULB: